• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2nd hand motorcycle"

Collapse

• mgrover
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Hello Gricer.

Go back to the trains.....
    Trains? Think you've got the wrong person.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by mgrover View Post
    So I've purchased a 2nd bike for £4350. Would it be worth sticking it on the company to offset against my profits since my BIK is 20% I think? Also I assume I can't claim any VAT back because its 2nd hand?

I owe 18k in CT, I paid this years off early, so I owe 9k technically now am but sure a rebate would be possible.
    Hello Gricer.

Go back to the trains.....

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh this was 25 years ago. Is every shop in the town centre still a charity shop? Can't imagine it's got worse.. that wasn't possible
    Yeah, it's a dosshole. Funnily enough despite being geographically close, I hadn't been there for years until last year when my client had an office there. Was able to confirm it's still a tuliphole.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Blimey, that's a bit too close to home. No wonder house prices dipped over there.
    Oh this was 25 years ago. Is every shop in the town centre still a charity shop? Can't imagine it's got worse.. that wasn't possible

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Halesowen
    Blimey, that's a bit too close to home. No wonder house prices dipped over there.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mgrover
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Which proves my point.

And I wasn't talking about IR35, it's a lot wider than that. Nuff said, I think.
    Genius, declare victory over nothing and be on your way.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Well am not here to persuade HMG am I?

It's very simple, your either a legitimate business or your taking the piss. As one or the other you fall into certain rules.

Since I know my company is a legitimate business I don't worry about how HMRC and HMG are going to perceive anything because I know what I am doing is within the confines of the law for a business. Even with the IR35 changes that were coming into place.

Now if you want to argue that I am inside IR35 that's a different matter, you'll be wrong but at least you'll be making the appropriate argument.
    Which proves my point.

And I wasn't talking about IR35, it's a lot wider than that. Nuff said, I think.

Leave a comment:

• mgrover
    replied
    No, not at all.

If you want to persuade HMG to take our case seriously, not taking the p*ss over trivia is a good start. Sadly, like you, 90% of contractors fail to understand the point.

HTH. BIDI.
    Well am not here to persuade HMG am I?

It's very simple, your either a legitimate business or your taking the piss. As one or the other you fall into certain rules.

Since I know my company is a legitimate business I don't worry about how HMRC and HMG are going to perceive anything because I know what I am doing is within the confines of the law for a business. Even with the IR35 changes that were coming into place.

Now if you want to argue that I am inside IR35 that's a different matter, you'll be wrong but at least you'll be making the appropriate argument.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Then it seems we should all kowtow with our tails between our legs and not use any of the advantages of a limited company. No dividends or anything as such and instead basically only take money via PAYE.
    No, not at all.

If you want to persuade HMG to take our case seriously, not taking the p*ss over trivia is a good start. Sadly, like you, 90% of contractors fail to understand the point.

HTH. BIDI.

Leave a comment:

• mgrover
    replied
    Legally, nothing at all. Politically, it's potentially very damaging. Depends really on how you view the various challenges aimed at contractors by HMG (or to be more precise, the senior Civil Servants in the Treasury mainly and assorted misguided and badly informed politicians) and the way in which the average employee sees our position. They don't care about the serious money we do generate for the economy - about £240bn a year - only trivia such as we can claim personal transport to get to work when they can't.
    Then it seems we should all kowtow with our tails between our legs and not use any of the advantages of a limited company. No dividends or anything as such and instead basically only take money via PAYE.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I guess it depends on the mileage, but yeah i think they gave him a company car because otherwise he'd be doing 24k a year on his celica and claiming mileage.
    I'd be snapping their hands off to do that. and make a pretty nice penny from it. The approved mileage rates take in to account wear and tear, repairs etc. For a cheap old car you can make a profit on it.

As I say, they won't be 'giving' him it. He'll be paying for it out of his gross somewhere.

Back in the day a small company I worked at had a higher band for 3L+ cars. 62p a mile I think it was. I could have sacrificed £250 for a company car but instead bought an old Supra for 2k. I was travelling from Manchester to Halesowen and Surrey three times a week. I made a bloody fortune from it. 250 quid just for driving to Surrey and back. Was regularly making between 500 and 750+ a week...... to the point they got so they got pissed off and dropped the 62p band.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 April 2020, 10:05.

Leave a comment:

• mgrover
    replied
    Unless your friend is in a pretty unique situation I very much doubt that. I think you'll also find it's a company car allowance where he'd get three or four hundred quid a month if he didn't take the car option. From what I remember and chatting to people there is always a cash option.

The general answer to all these company vehicle questions is that is most likely to most efficient by just claiming the miles. We've had a couple of people investigating electric cars at the moment but to date no one example thrown up has resulted in advice saying a company vehicle is worth it. If it were we'd all be doing it.
    I guess it depends on the mileage, but yeah i think they gave him a company car because otherwise he'd be doing 24k a year on his celica and claiming mileage.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Am still confused, it's part of the tax code. If I am a legitimate company why wouldn't I be able to leverage it as every other company does? If your a disguised employee then yes you deserve to fall under IR35 and have to pay up the taxes. But other than that like I said why am I a bad guy for using the perks of the tax code?
    Legally, nothing at all. Politically, it's potentially very damaging. Depends really on how you view the various challenges aimed at contractors by HMG (or to be more precise, the senior Civil Servants in the Treasury mainly and assorted misguided and badly informed politicians) and the way in which the average employee sees our position. They don't care about the serious money we do generate for the economy - about £240bn a year - only trivia such as we can claim personal transport to get to work when they can't.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Depends, perm employed friend gets a company car, everything is paid for, all he has to pay is the BIK which is like 200 for the year or something equally low. Its very efficient for him given he doesn't need to pay for the car, maintenance, tax, insurance etc etc.

I've already bought the vehicle, am just trying to decide whether it'd be more tax efficient if the company owned the car or I claim mileage.
    Unless your friend is in a pretty unique situation I very much doubt that. I think you'll also find it's a company car allowance where he'd get three or four hundred quid a month if he didn't take the car option. From what I remember and chatting to people there is always a cash option.

The general answer to all these company vehicle questions is that is most likely to most efficient by just claiming the miles. We've had a couple of people investigating electric cars at the moment but to date no one example thrown up has resulted in advice saying a company vehicle is worth it. If it were we'd all be doing it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 April 2020, 09:38.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X