• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

    As "Darren Upton"? If I remember correctly, I thought he had been struck off by his professional accounting body. Perhaps you can still call yourself an accountant despite being struck off the register? (As far as I know, you don't need any actual qualifications to call yourself an accountant - Chartered Accountant title or similar is however, legally protected). Might be different with accountants, but I doubt that a doctor could still call him/herself a doctor if he/she had been struck off the professional register?
    Nope, you can call yourself an Accountant with no qualifications whatsoever. To be a Chartered Accountant you do need to be a member of the ICAEW or equivalent for the other home nations. Darren was kicked out of every professional UK accountancy association in the run up to his conviction.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

    Comment


      Originally posted by DaveB View Post

      Nope, you can call yourself an Accountant with no qualifications whatsoever. To be a Chartered Accountant you do need to be a member of the ICAEW or equivalent for the other home nations. Darren was kicked out of every professional UK accountancy association in the run up to his conviction.
      Indeed, that's exactly what I believed to be the case. Question is then, who would give any business to him now? I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

        Indeed, that's exactly what I believed to be the case. Question is then, who would give any business to him now? I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).
        There will always be someone who doesn't do their research, or falls for a slick sales pitch, or is simply too greedy to have any common sense.

        Comment


          Remind me what he was convicted of?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

          Comment


            Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Remind me what he was convicted of?
            Fraud it would seem

            https://www.accountancydaily.co/pay-...ked-accountant

            https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ver-gifts.html

            Comment


              Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

              Indeed, that's exactly what I believed to be the case. Question is then, who would give any business to him now? I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).
              Because while we all know about him here, there will be lots of folks completely unaware of any of it who just want a basic accountancy / book keeping service and won't worry too much about who it is doing it it as long as they aren't expensive.

              He's a middle aged office worker, no way he is going to be able to retrain and earn decent money in the trades. You need to have put the time in and have the expertise to get those sort of rates. £600 per day is a lot but that article was about brikies laying 1000 bricks a day, day in day out. You don't just do a quick training course and start doing that. Same with plastering, plumbing etc. It's hard physical graft.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

                I sort of guessed he'd be better off retraining as a brick layer, plasterer or something. (Article in the media today about brickies in Manchester earning over £600 per day).
                That's £600 per day or £600 after tax as well!

                (makes me wonder why we bother having accountants when every single home improvement quote I get is "cash only m8")

                Comment


                  Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

                  That's £600 per day or £600 after tax as well!

                  (makes me wonder why we bother having accountants when every single home improvement quote I get is "cash only m8")
                  Most brickies are on site, under the CIS scheme

                  Comment


                    So. Darren Upton, convicted of fraud, is still practising. Hmm. Secondary question, does he retain membership of any professional organisation?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

                      So. Darren Upton, convicted of fraud, is still practising. Hmm. Secondary question, does he retain membership of any professional organisation?
                      Very doubtful unless he is registered under a different name? You don't need to be a registered professional to trade as an accountant. Or an engineer and many other professions too. But you cannot trade as a Chartered Accountant (or engineer) without professional accreditation. The UK's a bit of a mess in this respect really.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X