• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with discrimination as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
    I find it's always down to one man - usually lower down the food chain, ie gets to sign stuff off. It is never ever the C or MD guys (or team level folks).

Also according to agent turns out lots of people are unhappy with this guy too.
    Correct, often down to one "person" .

Also correct, in the fact, that when faced with this, everyone else usually thinks this "one person" is a total winker too.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Any masses kicking in with stereotypical BS will find their posts rapidly kicked out, and possibly their account as well.

To me this is clearly discriminatory behaviour. If it is actionable, only a lawyer could really tell. On the face of it, I think it is. The problem is that if you're in a small world, no matter how good you are, and no matter how unfair the treatment, if you cause clients problems, then it can affect your chance of finding work. People who are crap don't understand the worth of good people.

As far as working 13 hours and having your timesheet amended: Does your contract specify an hourly rate? Do you work through an agency and are you opted in? Frankly, if I've done work and not been paid for it, I would dispassionately apply my dunning process all the way to court until I got paid.
      Professional day not by hours, opted out. The 13 hour day example was a direct result of the said CDO lying about something to the exec then telling me he needed it. Basically I took myself outta the office to do a weeks work in a day to cover his ass. I charged one day for that masterpiece. Then he refused to pay.

My career has been internationally focused and because of the nature of my work (I like to point people to Prescott's Pickle principle by Gerry Weinberg to explain) I always ensure that I retain autonomy over how I provide services. That also means I can work Hong Kong hours one week and UK or US the next dependant on where the need is greatest without having to "ask permission". But contracts in the UK aren't worth the paper they're written on - working practices often differ as HMRC knows.

Comment

I always ensure that I retain autonomy over how I provide services. That also means I can work Hong Kong hours one week and UK or US the next dependant on where the need is greatest without having to "ask permission". But contracts in the UK aren't worth the paper they're written on - working practices often differ as HMRC knows.

When you are working Hong Kong hours or US hours, is that in a ClientCo office or from home? I'm slightly confused.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          13 hour days (probably?) needs pre-approving otherwise they'd have everyone booking 80 hours weeks
          Why? It is charged a single professional day.

Comment

Why? It is charged a single professional day.
            As I said earlier

Quote Originally Posted by pr1

I (like most people) love to try and catch someone out/make an example of someone boasts they're the bees knees in something I know absolutely nothing about
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Just to address the original question, UK legislation applying to discrimination cases apply across the board. It does not matter how you are engaged, staff, temp or contractor. I brought a case under the disability discrimination act, it didn't get to court, it was settled out of court.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                13 hour days (probably?) needs pre-approving otherwise they'd have everyone booking 80 hours weeks
                Professional day not by hours, opted out. The 13 hour day example was a direct result of the said CDO lying about something to the exec then telling me he needed it. Basically I took myself outta the office to do a weeks work in a day to cover his ass. I charged one day for that masterpiece. Then he refused to pay.
                So he didn't just not pay for extra hours, he didn't pay at all for the work. In that case, if I had evidence I had done the work, timesheet or no timesheet, I'd invoice for it and dun when it wasn't paid.

You've not stated it, but you appear to not be going via agencies, rather direct.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My last contract my male peers were allowed one day every week to work from home. I was not allowed to do so, and on one occasion when I worked a 13 hour day from home to get information ready for the CDO I had my timesheet marked down. When I queried it I was told "I don't care what your contract says". So I left.
                  You've obviously thought about this long and hard so I suspect the answer is clear to you and is the correct one but as a random bod on the internet I'll play devil's advocate. Are you absolutely sure this was because you are a woman? I couldnt WFH in a group of about 6 contractors. Various reasons but I didn't push it as I wasn't that bothered. I got extentions where they didn't so worked out in my favour. This was just a dislike of WFH by two senior permies but some individuals pushed it harder than others. Nothing to do with me individually.

In this next contract I'm facing exactly the same thing.
                  One male colleague has worked from home in another country, a few have worked from home waiting on deliveries, looking after kids or through illness. Last week I had a pinched sciatic nerve and was unable to walk (I have a two hour commute each way). I was told not to work that day but to dial into meetings if I wished. Basically we won't pay you but please work for free.
                  Again I see differences. You are unable to walk. How can a manager believe you are productive? Get better and come back fit. I wouldn't want a contractor making themselves worse in an attempt keep invoicing either. A cold or something thats unpleasant for people around or other illnesses that don't mean you are unable to move are different. Are you absolutely sure this is all because you are a woman. Playing devils advocate I don't see any evidence of that in the post.

Am sure I'll get a flaming but only saying what I see. You'll be asked all these questions and more if you take it further so please don't be offended.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When I read threads like this, I like to look back and see what other threads the OP has started, it helps fill in the blanks in the story.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      When you are working Hong Kong hours or US hours, is that in a ClientCo office or from home? I'm slightly confused.
                      I work in the London ClientCo office and deal with ClientCo offices all across the world (20+ and counting). Now as a professional consultant who is used to such my professional day works out at the 8 hour office day and covering other meets and email comms at these wider hours too. At four figures a day it's not a problem, as long as it's sustainable then all's good.

Comment

Working...
                      X