• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to deal with discrimination as a contractor"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    90% of the population would be financially happy to be a £300 a day 'grunt'.
    99% I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    £1000 a day? I don't get that. Discrimination!
    Life is not all about money.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Agreed. PC sees that as more money than him so should be more thankful. What he forgets is he is worth his rate, she is worth hers. The amount of money should not have a bearing on how badly you are treated. Its how much it costs for those skills. If you go down that route you could argue a 1k a day person should be treated with more respect than a 300 quid a day grunt.
    90% of the population would be financially happy to be a £300 a day 'grunt'.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    £1000 a day? I don't get that. Discrimination!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That is very good news. Sadly it is the exception.

The company that went bust 5 months later - were you replaced by suity?
    Suity would have been too competent for them as he speaks and understands English, and tries to get things done.

They actually hired someone who couldn't speak reasonable English to work in English customer support. I've worked with a lot of foreign nationals including those with "bad" English and that was the only company that did that.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not at all. I will never be a 1k day person

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Since every situation of discrimination and tulip behaviour isn't exactly the same it doesn't mean your contract will end.

If you look at the 2 examples I posted earlier, in one the offender was removed, while in the other I decided to remove myself. In fact in that case removing myself was a good idea because the company went bust 5 months later...
    That is very good news. Sadly it is the exception.

The company that went bust 5 months later - were you replaced by suity?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No I agree but as a contractor tulip happens. If you kick off then it'll likely mean the end of the gig. Maybe a bit unfair but thats life.
    Since every situation of discrimination and tulip behaviour isn't exactly the same it doesn't mean your contract will end.

If you look at the 2 examples I posted earlier, in one the offender was removed, while in the other I decided to remove myself. In fact in that case removing myself was a good idea because the company went bust 5 months later...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No I agree but as a contractor tulip happens. If you kick off then it'll likely mean the end of the gig. Maybe a bit unfair but thats life.
    Maybe I could provide a hit man service as a plan B?

Certainly you cannot do anything official.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Agreed. PC sees that as more money than him so should be more thankful. What he forgets is he is worth his rate, she is worth hers. The amount of money should not have a bearing on how badly you are treated. Its how much it costs for those skills. If you go down that route you could argue a 1k a day person should be treated with more respect than a 300 quid a day grunt.
    Not at all. Im not a 1k day person but Im not a grunt either! :-)

My point is that end of the day its UP TO YOU whether you stay. This is what you tell everyone.

It all depends on the individual circumstances. If you can leave and get another gig for £1K straight away then fine. If it means going back to £500 then you need to think about it is all.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
    the money anyone is on shouldn't really come into it

if you are being treated unfairly (which I'm not saying she is or isn't in this case), then you have a right to complain and for things to change. Doesn't matter what money you are on, no-one should be dealing with bullying/discrimination in the workplace....you can't keep ignoring it and looking at your bank balance without it having an impact on your health and performance in the workplace

I agree nothing is worth impacting health and happiness but its a balancing act. Ultimately ALL clients or people you work with will piss you off at some point. Its up to you to decide whether to suck it up and keep the money or knock it back and do something else.

I've been in same situation with a crap client. I probably stayed too long in the end because it was VERY close to home. But then I build up warchest a bit and ignored their crap. Then when it suited me I knocked back renewal.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

if you are being treated unfairly (which I'm not saying she is or isn't in this case), then you have a right to complain and for things to change. Doesn't matter what money you are on, no-one should be dealing with bullying/discrimination in the workplace....you can't keep ignoring it and looking at your bank balance without it having an impact on your health and performance in the workplace

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

You need to choose your battles wisely.

Some incidents you get:
    1. Get evidence
    2. Prove the person has done it before
    3. Take effective action

Others you just need to walk away.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    She is probably ironing.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• moneymoney
    replied
    If you've got a gig for £1000 a day then I'd suggest that you take this into consideration when facing some of the crap that client might give you. If you don't think its worth putting up with for £1000 a day then leave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X