• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with discrimination as a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not clear from your original post whether the guys who were allowed to WFH were permies or contractors as well. If the former then it sounds like the client has issues with contractors rather than the fact that you are female. If the later then yes, it sounds clearly like discrimination but sadly as a contractor there is not a lot than can be done about it. As a permie you could go down the HR route and claim discrimination but as a contractor you don't have that option. The only real choice you have is to ditch the contract making it clear why you are doing so to the both client and agent. It sucks, but thats the downside of contracting.

I'm not sure what sector or technology you are working in but it may be worth looking at a change. I've not worked in IB (assuming thats where you are) but we've all heard the stories. Other sectors tend to have a less macho outlook and while the money may not be as good, depending on the role, it can be a lot more balanced in terms of the workplace culture. It's one of the reasons I enjoy working in the Public Sector in particular, and the money isn't as bad as you might think
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by luimneach2005 View Post
      Thanks - I believe I did set the tone of the engagement fine (indeed the managers managers manager agrees) but I having spent 20 years trying not to use the sexism tag I've really had enough now. It's blindingly obvious in so many cases, and to be frank the problem is most Brits ignore it or are afraid to call it out. That's why we're still in these situations in my opinion.
      Fair play, it sounds like you have really thought the situation through.
      You will have to be careful though, even if you are right.
      I have been through similar situations before and even if you are completely right, you will not always get the right outcome, sad, but true.

As far as setting the tone, maybe you should have suggested that you would need to, on occasion, WFH at the initial interview?
      Maybe, the terms of engagement didn't filter down to the muppet causing the issues .

This +1
      I would dispassionately apply my dunning process all the way to court until I got paid.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        As far as working 13 hours and having your timesheet amended: Does your contract specify an hourly rate? Do you work through an agency and are you opted in? Frankly, if I've done work and not been paid for it, I would dispassionately apply my dunning process all the way to court until I got paid.
        13 hour days (probably?) needs pre-approving otherwise they'd have everyone booking 80 hours weeks

Comment

I know loads of guys who seemingly aren't 'allowed' to WFH too (despite contract not making reference to a permanent place of work, etc)

The trick I think is to get it right from the start, establish your dominance, and be the change that you seek. Take - don't ask (be prepared to walk if you choose this path of course)
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

There must be some form of support you can get to look into this with more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              The trick I think is to get it right from the start, establish your dominance, and be the change that you seek. Take - don't ask (be prepared to walk if you choose this path of course)
              This +1

I have noticed a great change of attitude when a client considers themselves "lucky to have you".
              This usually results after a "good", read strong, interview.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                These attitudes towards women are common and won't change in your working life.

Before all the regulars chip in with NKOTBAC BS I would suggest you consider a different area and look to the womens networks for guidance.

Posting this on a predominantly Men in banking IT forum may get you a mature insight from a few but once the masses kick in you may face the usual stereotypical BS.
                Sorry but New Kids are crap, no question about it.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  (playing devils advocate)

Are you sure the discrimination you're seeing/perceiving is because of your gender and not you being a PITA or egocentric/full of yourself or that they [the men you mention] are better at negotiating than you? Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation

I personally have no prejudice with gender, but I (like most people) love to try and catch someone out/make an example of someone boasts they're the bees knees in something I know inside out
                  Pretty sure. I earn the same/more than my male peers, have the same T's and C's. I'd expected no negotiation is expected - simply to be treated as others/peers have been treated. I tend to assume that in a group of 10 or more if a pattern is set then it applies to all (assuming all are peers/same type of agreement) for such minor and recurring things as the need to be at home through sickness or otherwise.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    I (like most people) love to try and catch someone out/make an example of someone boasts they're the bees knees in something I know absolutely nothing about
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      It's not clear from your original post whether the guys who were allowed to WFH were permies or contractors as well. If the former then it sounds like the client has issues with contractors rather than the fact that you are female. If the later then yes, it sounds clearly like discrimination but sadly as a contractor there is not a lot than can be done about it. As a permie you could go down the HR route and claim discrimination but as a contractor you don't have that option. The only real choice you have is to ditch the contract making it clear why you are doing so to the both client and agent. It sucks, but thats the downside of contracting.

I'm not sure what sector or technology you are working in but it may be worth looking at a change. I've not worked in IB (assuming thats where you are) but we've all heard the stories. Other sectors tend to have a less macho outlook and while the money may not be as good, depending on the role, it can be a lot more balanced in terms of the workplace culture. It's one of the reasons I enjoy working in the Public Sector in particular, and the money isn't as bad as you might think
                      All contractors. I've worked in fin services most of my career and several years in public sector, can deal with the usual bs easily, am pretty macho myself. I find it's always down to one man - usually lower down the food chain, ie gets to sign stuff off. It is never ever the C or MD guys (or team level folks).

Also according to agent turns out lots of people are unhappy with this guy too.

Comment

Working...
                      X