• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De Graaf

Have any De Graaf users had their APNs withdrawn or made representations to HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
      You have to decide whether to encash it against the APN.

Potentially there are complexities say if you were in multiple schemes, or if your CTD was purchased before the theoretical date the tax on which the APN was issued was due. Question. Were you in the scheme prior to 04/05 tax year. When did you buy your CTD?

It is unfortunate you can't just reserve the CTD against a liability but you can't.
      Thanks Bananarepublic. Only one scheme and not prior to 05/06. CTD very very recent.

I guess my husband will have to cash his pension in 😢
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
        Thanks Bananarepublic. Only one scheme and not prior to 05/06. CTD very very recent.

I guess my husband will have to cash his pension in 😢
        In the circumstances it would be sensible to use your CTD against the APN I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
          Sorry but I think you are wrong!! The CTDs are encashed for tax. Its like you made a payment on account when you bought the CTD. You can partially encash them.
          i agree- you can ask for x amount to be used against one or many APNS and for a balancing ctd to be issued for the remainder ...... with its original date

i have spoken to many teams many times about the whole apn/ctd thing .. for sure its not simple. But especially if your ctd is recent a lot of the possible complexities probably dont arise -
          Last edited by elpinar; 12 May 2015, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
            So I'm confused now - if I have a CTD (for part of the capital amount due) what do I do? No such apology letter for me ....

Is it just me or do they make things soooo complicated on purpose? Not only do they do this but they lie and cheat and ruin ordinary people's lives.....

Ok rant over. I feel better now. Back to the fight.
            If you want to use your CTD against an APN you send it back to the CTD office telling them to cash it in and pay the APN number that comes with the letter. Keep a copy of the CTD to use as a history of when you first bought it to offset interest in case we lose. No doco was in the APN to say how to use a CTD as payment, so I called them and said how do I use a CTD as payment. They said no one usually has CTDs, so that is why it was not in the letter. I told them they sent a letter years ago advising people to settle or buy APNs. They said oh right.... Makes you wonder. Also I was told all our details are just held on spreadsheets between server all offices and one office does not know what the other office has done etc. That made me laugh as I had called the wrong office and was told you are been dealt with by the lot up North....
            Last edited by TheFlyer; 12 May 2015, 21:27. Reason: Whoops

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyer View Post
              If you want to use your CTD against an APN you send it back to the CTD office telling them to cash it in and pay the APN number that comes with the letter. Keep a copy of the CTD to use as a history of when you first bought it to offset interest in case we lose. No doco was in the APN to say how to use a CTD as payment, so I called them and said how do I use a CTD as payment. They said no one usually has CTDs, so that is why it was not in the letter. I told them they sent a letter years ago advising people to settle or buy APNs. They said oh right.... Makes you wonder. Also I was told all our details are just held on spreadsheets between server all offices and one office does not know what the other office has done etc. That made me laugh as I had called the wrong office and was told you are been dealt with by the lot up North....
              That should say ..or buy CTD....

Comment

withdrawn apns - park it

Folks,

We all want to believe the APNs being withdrawn is a positive thing, be it due to the MP, letters or otherwise.....and we are all very curious

But I think we have form here and need a reality check, this is either sinister or more likely just another classic HMRC catastro****...

In short I am saying ignore that APN withdrawal distraction, the focus should be on immediate next steps with respect to TAA, time is of the essence here .......

Banchini

Comment

Originally posted by banchini View Post
                  Folks,

We all want to believe the APNs being withdrawn is a positive thing, be it due to the MP, letters or otherwise.....and we are all very curious

But I think we have form here and need a reality check, this is either sinister or more likely just another classic HMRC catastro****...

In short I am saying ignore that APN withdrawal distraction, the focus should be on immediate next steps with respect to TAA, time is of the essence here .......

Banchini
                  One thing about S58. Time is never of the essence. 7 years and clock still running. tick tock...

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by TheFlyer View Post
                    If you want to use your CTD against an APN you send it back to the CTD office telling them to cash it in and pay the APN number that comes with the letter. Keep a copy of the CTD to use as a history of when you first bought it to offset interest in case we lose. No doco was in the APN to say how to use a CTD as payment, so I called them and said how do I use a CTD as payment. They said no one usually has CTDs, so that is why it was not in the letter. I told them they sent a letter years ago advising people to settle or buy CTDS. They said oh right.... Makes you wonder. Also I was told all our details are just held on spreadsheets between several offices and one office does not know what the other office has done etc. That made me laugh as I had called the wrong office and was told you are been dealt with by the lot up North....
                    OK I'm clear now should it come to it. My CTD bought 2008 so want to make sure I use it properly. 1 of 3 APN but no withdrawal as yet, few weeks to go yet deadline July.
                    Thanks all for info.
                    The Cat

Comment

Reply from HMRC - No grounds to withdraw

I had a reply to my request to withdraw APN from HMRC bootle office yesterday. The request was acknowledged but REJECTED on the basis that there is no reason to withdraw. Has anyone else had the same?

Comment

Working...
                      X