• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
    I've had APN warning letters withdrawn and then re-issued. Going from "tax the partnership avoided" to "the tax you avoided", followed by actual APNs for "the tax you avoided".

I wonder if this is the reason behind the withdrawals.
    THIS is what I was suspecting when I said maybe they are issuing more TAA unfriendly APNs.

Comment

Originally posted by banchini View Post
      Folks,

We all want to believe the APNs being withdrawn is a positive thing, be it due to the MP, letters or otherwise.....and we are all very curious

But I think we have form here and need a reality check, this is either sinister or more likely just another classic HMRC catastro****...

In short I am saying ignore that APN withdrawal distraction, the focus should be on immediate next steps with respect to TAA, time is of the essence here .......

Banchini
      Exactly.

If there is some way we can use their incompetence against them, then great. Otherwise, don't let it be a distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
        I've had APN warning letters withdrawn and then re-issued. Going from "tax the partnership avoided" to "the tax you avoided", followed by actual APNs for "the tax you avoided".

I wonder if this is the reason behind the withdrawals.
        where exactely does it say those words ...... i cant find either

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
          THIS is what I was suspecting when I said maybe they are issuing more TAA unfriendly APNs.
          just my opinion, but I don't think the TAA and APNs are linked. HMRC can ask for payment now and we can ask to go to FTT with the TAA argument. The APN is a part payment of a total tax liability that HMRC believe is owed. TAA says we don't believe that we owe that tax.

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
            where exactely does it say those words ...... i cant find either
            do you mean the heading? if so mine say ' the tax avoidance scheme you used'

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
              do you mean the heading? if so mine say ' the tax avoidance scheme you used'
              Yip that's the one. Instead of "the tax avoidance scheme the partnership used"

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                Or could they be getting themselves in a bit of a muddle precisely because of the TAA argument?

Comment

Looks like the withdrawls were a false dawn. Enthusiasm for checking the post has just waned.

"Help me Obi Wan George-nobi, you're my only hope". And the nominations for Darth Vader are...

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
                    Or could they be getting themselves in a bit of a muddle precisely because of the TAA argument?
                    Same thing

Comment

Originally posted by oldsocks View Post
                      I tried to get a refund of a small amount owed me by HMRC using the online option, but I had the same experience as you.
                      Phoned them up and eventually got through to the Anti Avoidance department (tel: 03000 532 489). Seems that if you have an open enquiry the online option doesn't work. In my case as the refund was nothing to do with the enquiry, they said they would process the refund. Waiting to see if it really happens this time. Hope that helps.
                      I'm trying to dig out a refund from the scum. Does anyone have a working number for this tax avoidance dept? The 03000 532 489 just tells me my call can't be connected and try again later

Comment

Working...
                      X