• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
    100%, I have received 4 years and today withdrawal 4 years. I had written to HMRC to request that all withdrawn but in 3 separate letters, all separately sent and to the Glasgow office.
    Using Monty style templates or something of your own creation?

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
      Using Monty style templates or something of your own creation?
      all advised by Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
        all advised by Monty
        The Full Monty

Comment

I wonder if it is as simple as they can't cope with the workload and have to withdraw due to a possible technical breach on their side? A wild guess. Very odd indeed, and worrying too.

Comment

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
            Hi,
            Not sure if anyone has asked this, if you have a CTD for say 30k and 3 years of APNs (that you may need to pay eventually - depending on the submit retract okey kokey tactics of HMRC)
            of 10k, 10k and 10k say.

If you get 1 APN for year 1 of 10k can you just use 10k of the 30k CTD or do you have to cash it all in?

Can you leave any unused amount in a CTD for any future years that could be challenged?

Just wondered how it worked.

Also did someone have the number for the tax dept you have to call to get a repayment for more recent years pushed through - I'm now >3k owed back to me and the auto request is not working?

Thanks.
            As far as I know, you're not actually cashing in your CTDs against the APN's. As far as I know, you're only 'assigning' one, two or more CTD's you hold against the so called debt of the APNs.

Effectively, HMRC only 'cash in' your CTD if they win and are able to prove there's a tax debt.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
              I wonder if it is as simple as they can't cope with the workload and have to withdraw due to a possible technical breach on their side? A wild guess. Very odd indeed, and worrying too.
              Very much doubt this. Id wager there something not quite right legally with the APNs that have been issued and then withdrawn.

I very much doubt hmrc will show their hand why they have withdrawn some (not all?) of the APNs.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

received letter from HMRC confirming receipt of representations

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Very much doubt this. Id wager there something not quite right legally with the APNs that have been issued and then withdrawn.

I very much doubt hmrc will show their hand why they have withdrawn some (not all?) of the APNs.
                Not that I didn't know (registered post) but today I received a letter from HMRC informing me my letter of representation has been received. That's it.

This suggests to me anyone who has received a recent apology from HMRC for sending out an APN in error isn't because of a previous letter of representations. Otherwise why didn't I receive the apology letter.

Comment

As far as I know, you're not actually cashing in your CTDs against the APN's. As far as I know, you're only 'assigning' one, two or more CTD's you hold against the so called debt of the APNs.

Effectively, HMRC only 'cash in' your CTD if they win and are able to prove there's a tax debt.
                  Sorry but I think you are wrong!! The CTDs are encashed for tax. Its like you made a payment on account when you bought the CTD. You can partially encash them.

Comment

Huh?

So I'm confused now - if I have a CTD (for part of the capital amount due) what do I do? No such apology letter for me ....

Is it just me or do they make things soooo complicated on purpose? Not only do they do this but they lie and cheat and ruin ordinary people's lives.....

Ok rant over. I feel better now. Back to the fight.
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fog View Post
                      So I'm confused now - if I have a CTD (for part of the capital amount due) what do I do? No such apology letter for me ....

Is it just me or do they make things soooo complicated on purpose? Not only do they do this but they lie and cheat and ruin ordinary people's lives.....

Ok rant over. I feel better now. Back to the fight.
                      You have to decide whether to encash it against the APN.

Potentially there are complexities say if you were in multiple schemes, or if your CTD was purchased before the theoretical date the tax on which the APN was issued was due. Question. Were you in the scheme prior to 04/05 tax year. When did you buy your CTD?

It is unfortunate you can't just reserve the CTD against a liability but you can't.
                      Last edited by bananarepublic; 12 May 2015, 19:35.

Comment

Working...
                      X