• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from a Motorhome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from a Motorhome

I'm about to buy a motorhome and will be working remotely from there. I would like to know, as a owner of a small IT consultancy limited company, I can use my business to pay for the motorhome. Eg: buy it as a business asset, or rent from my self as a business office, or anything else that covers the cost of the motorhome
    PS: I'm a UK resident, the business is also registered in the UK, but the motorhome is from a European country. Thanks

Hello, welcome to the forum.

This is a variation on a question that we get asked regularly.

You say you are UK resident, so do you already have a home in the UK?
    When you say you will be working remotely from the motorhome, will that be in the UK or outside the UK?
    Have you checked with your clients if they are happy for you to access their systems (or keep their equipment) in a vehicle, and not a secure building?
    Have you checked with the caravan parks, etc, that you would be staying in, that they allow businesses to be run from them?
    What were you plans for internet connections?

Since you would be living in it, how would you pay the company back for your living time?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Thanks for your answers. I already have a home in the UK and my goal is not living in the motorhome but work from there, using it as an office. Regarding to the other points that you mentioned, I don't think they need to be considered. Only my laptap, my mobile phone, and my brain is required. I guess my question is more related to the accounting and legal framework on costing a motorhome, through a limited company structure

Comment

So the motorhome is currently in another country, but you're bringing it into the UK.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes. Will be bring into the UK

Comment

In that case it's no different to a company car. You will be taxed on the BIK element as normal if YourCo owns it (and beware of insurance, which will be difficult to arrange since every policy I've seen excludes business use), or you can own it personally and claim business mileage for any work-related journeys. Since it is essentially a leisure vehicle and you will have full access to it, you can't treat it as a wholly exclusive business expense.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You're asking the wrong question.

Your company can purchase anything it wants that can be legally purchased.

The tax implications for you and your company are another matter and that is probably what you intended to ask about.

Comment

Have you tried asking your accountant?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I work from a motorhome occasionally.
                  It is personally owned. I have used it instead of hotels when visiting clients sites.

So the claims I have made from my LTD are:
                  - 45p per mile for business miles
                  - the site fees where the entire purpose of me being there is for work

It basically saves the company a few quid as it pays £25 a night for the site which is less than most hotels.

I have even reclaimed from my client.

the biggest problem is getting to the clients site. They often don't want their car park to look the lay byes on the A65 the week before Appleby Horse Fair.
                  And motorhomes are often quite a bit taller than the 2m entrance to car parks.

I have also worked whilst on holiday in the motorhome. There is no claim I can make for that
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Can I jump on the thread? I have a similar situation , but it's a campervan, I'm an agency nurses I will use it when working away from home.
                    I own it privately, so I guess I could claim back some milage and the pitch..
                    What about maintenance and the modification costs to the campervan (I'm converting it from a van).
                    Is there any way to claim those costs as ltd?

Comment

Working...
                    X