• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Hello

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello

    Hi All,

    I have been contracting in UK Pharmaceuticals for several years now.
    I've worked extremely hard over the last 3 years but been very successful.

    Now my main client has brought in a blanket ban on contractors, commencing 01 Mar 2021.
    And unfortunately, I am seeing these blanket bans happening on a wide scale across the country.
    The fact that I am outside IR35 and always have been so, would appear to matter little at the moment.

    While I am receiving an abundance of offers from outside the UK, I'm afraid there are very few prospects for me within the UK presently.
    Therefore, I am trying to gain some insight into the probable future of UK contracting and whether I should prepare to move my family abroad.

    Thank you

    #2
    Welcome to CUK.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

    Comment


      #3


      Good luck!

      Comment


        #4
        Welcome.

        Contracting is going to get seriously tougher in the years to come. Market will shrink and a majority of roles will be inside so 30 to 40% cut in income. Rocking on for years in outside gigs will be a thing of the past.

        If I had the opportunity and flexibility to move the family anywhere to follow the lifestyle I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Pragmatist View Post
          Hi All,

          I have been contracting in UK Pharmaceuticals for several years now.
          I've worked extremely hard over the last 3 years but been very successful.

          Now my main client has brought in a blanket ban on contractors, commencing 01 Mar 2021.
          And unfortunately, I am seeing these blanket bans happening on a wide scale across the country.
          The fact that I am outside IR35 and always have been so, would appear to matter little at the moment.

          While I am receiving an abundance of offers from outside the UK, I'm afraid there are very few prospects for me within the UK presently.
          Therefore, I am trying to gain some insight into the probable future of UK contracting and whether I should prepare to move my family abroad.

          Thank you
          I've contracted at two pharma companies. There are still some that were offering IR35 contacts last year according to offpayroll.org- Astra Zeneca and Astellas for example.

          Which ones have you heard implementing a blanket ban? And where are you based?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by edison View Post
            I've contracted at two pharma companies. There are still some that were offering IR35 contacts last year according to offpayroll.org- Astra Zeneca and Astellas for example.

            Which ones have you heard implementing a blanket ban? And where are you based?
            What's one of them, then?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by edison View Post
              I've contracted at two pharma companies. There are still some that were offering IR35 contacts last year according to offpayroll.org- Astra Zeneca and Astellas for example.

              Which ones have you heard implementing a blanket ban? And where are you based?
              I did a long stint at AZ and had to leave as it was becoming untenable from an IR35 perspective. Lot of people been there for eight years plus. It's another GSK waiting to happen.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by edison View Post
                I've contracted at two pharma companies. There are still some that were offering IR35 contacts last year according to offpayroll.org- Astra Zeneca and Astellas for example.

                Which ones have you heard implementing a blanket ban? And where are you based?
                Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                What's one of them, then?

                I missed out the word 'outside' - doh!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I did a long stint at AZ and had to leave as it was becoming untenable from an IR35 perspective. Lot of people been there for eight years plus. It's another GSK waiting to happen.
                  I've lost count of the number of times I've been aproached to work at AZ, mostly as a perm but once was as a contractor. Their whole recruiting process always seemed hopelessly bad and other people who I've passed on opportunities to have had a similar experience with them.

                  It wouldn't surprise me if AZ ended up being another GSK but you would think that a company operating in one of the most tightly regulated and compliance driven industries would surely be on top of such compliance?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by edison View Post
                    I've lost count of the number of times I've been aproached to work at AZ, mostly as a perm but once was as a contractor. Their whole recruiting process always seemed hopelessly bad and other people who I've passed on opportunities to have had a similar experience with them.

                    It wouldn't surprise me if AZ ended up being another GSK but you would think that a company operating in one of the most tightly regulated and compliance driven industries would surely be on top of such compliance?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X