• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary sacrifice time delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently with Brookson who overall have provided excellent service. However, I am swapping to Giant* specifically and only because of delays in salary sacrifice hitting my pension.

Brookson run a rolling 4 week payment period and, by law they have to pay the pension contributions I believe within 22 days from the end of this period. Because the payment period is not fixed to the end of the month, when I typically get paid, if they receive funds from my agency a day after the last period ends, I have to wait the 4 weeks of the new payment period plus the 22 days for the pension to hit my account.

As I've said the service I've received has been excellent, but this tax year I'm taking advantage of carry forward of unused contributions from previous years, so my pension payments are much larger than my net salary (which Brookson pay on receipt of funds). Due to vagaries of the payment cycle, since I increased my pension payments some pension payments have taken nearly 2 months from receipt of funds to hit my pension. Essentially I have up to 4 months credit exposure (I'm paid a month in arrears) to my agency and Brookson - so much for being a deemed employee because I don't take financial risk - its higher than when I worked Ltd!!

Another factor to take into account is that the pension company record the payments upon receipt, which given the large delay means that pension payments from monies earnt and paid as salary in one tax year will appear in the next one, which may have tax implications (e.g. loss of carry forward).

*I only have a choice of 3 umbrellas through my agent - Brookson, Giant and another who do not offer salary sacrifice. This is another problem, which I believe is a fundamental problem with the umbrella sector, which is essentially unregulated. Because there are so many cowboys firms out there and agencies have limited bandwidth, they can only vet a limited number of firms - hence the limited choice. As a further point I think it is fundamentally unjust being forced to work through companies that are not regulated.
    Last edited by Nazaire99; 27 January 2024, 23:53.

Comment

Working...
    X