• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary sacrifice time delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary sacrifice time delay

I'm with Paystream and when the client pays, the funds are in my account the same day.

However, it takes on average 30 days for the pension to hit the SIPP.

I checked with the SIPP provider and they take no more than a day or 2 max, so the delay is squarely on the Paystream side.

I queried this with them a few weeks ago and they say they do a batch run, etc and there is a manual process, etc but was not convinced.

What's it like with other umbrella companies?

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    I'm with Paystream and when the client pays, the funds are in my account the same day.

However, it takes on average 30 days for the pension to hit the SIPP.

I checked with the SIPP provider and they take no more than a day or 2 max, so the delay is squarely on the Paystream side.

I queried this with them a few weeks ago and they say they do a batch run, etc and there is a manual process, etc but was not convinced.

What's it like with other umbrella companies?
    Clarity is very quick at sending pension contributions out - it was usually the same day as you were paid
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I found the Paystream delay annoying too. I would probably choose another unbrella next time I need one (anyone from Paystream reading this?)

Comment

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
        I found the Paystream delay annoying too. I would probably choose another unbrella next time I need one (anyone from Paystream reading this?)
        Totally agree. Next time, I certainly won't bother with Paystream, its an extra revenue stream for them, holding on to your money for an entire month.

In fact, they send you an email around 3 weeks after they've paid you, to tell you your pension money will be hitting your SIPP on a particular date, usually in a another week or so. Do it now!

Utterly shocking.

Comment

Looks like this is same process for three umbrellas that I have worked with - Paystream, Nasa Group and Contractor Umbrella. And all of them credits amount to SIPP on 19th of next month. So, there may be some constraint or they all aligned to process to earn interest.

There are not many umbrellas anyway giving you choice of SIPP vendors so have to appreciate Paystream, Nasa group at least for that.

Comment

When dealing with so many individual SIPPs, it is understandable as it is very much a manual process for each contractor, it is also difficult when payments may not be 100% regular from the agency / client (ie on a specific day). On our side we do try and make payment to SIPPs within a few days of the contractor being paid, but as stated it is very much a manual process so not 100% full proof, unless there is a nudge from the contractor

Comment

I’ve been with Paystream for a few years. I get paid on the last working day of the month and then my pension contribution is in my SIPP (AJ Bell) on the 19th of the following month, possibly the 21st if the 19th is a weekend. Even accounting for pay day being a Friday I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait for more than 23 days for my contribution to hit my SIPP.

I’m not saying other Umbrellas don’t do it better (sounds like Clarity do), I’m just saying I’ve never had to wait 30 days for a payment.

Comment

I get paid around 6th of each month and then Paystream credits pension amount on 19th of next month...so, it is almost 43 days on an average (Nov payroll on 06-Dec and pension credit on 19-Jan).. Seems like no motivation to remove inefficiency as they do get interest for this period anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by patel View Post
                  I get paid around 6th of each month and then Paystream credits pension amount on 19th of next month...so, it is almost 43 days on an average (Nov payroll on 06-Dec and pension credit on 19-Jan).. Seems like no motivation to remove inefficiency as they do get interest for this period anyway.
                  That period also corresponds directly with how HMRC works PAYE periods run 6th -5th of a month with payments due on the 19th of that month.

so while I can see that it’s an incredibly long period operationally it makes sense
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by patel View Post
                    Parasol mirrors this - So November's Salary Sacrifice hits the SIPP provider around the 22nd of January

Comment

Working...
                    X