• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DASA Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DASA Umbrella

Has anyone come across DASA Umbrella before? I've done a Google search (for this site), which didn't find any results. Using the forum search, I found that delsvan was getting 88% of gross (back in 2006):
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...tml#post117230
    That involved claiming £1000 of expenses each month, which seems dodgy, but maybe they've changed?

I've checked the FCSA website, and DASA are accredited (for whatever that's worth).

They're not my first choice, but apparently the client are insisting on them. My conversation with the recruitment agency went like this:

Agent: "The client have requested that you use DASA rather than Clarity Umbrella."
    Me: "Is that just a request, or are they insisting on it?"
    Agent: "Yes, they are requesting that you use DASA."
    Me: "Can I say no?"
    Agent: "They have requested that you use DASA."

It's frustrating since I spoke to the agency last week (when they offered me the contract), and one of my first questions was "Can I use any umbrella or do you have a preferred supplier list?" At that point, they said I could use anyone, so I've already signed an employment contract with Clarity; I'm guessing that I'll now need to get a P45 from them, before I've done any work...

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
    Has anyone come across DASA Umbrella before? I've done a Google search (for this site), which didn't find any results. Using the forum search, I found that delsvan was getting 88% of gross (back in 2006):
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...tml#post117230
    That involved claiming £1000 of expenses each month, which seems dodgy, but maybe they've changed?

I've checked the FCSA website, and DASA are accredited (for whatever that's worth).

They're not my first choice, but apparently the client are insisting on them. My conversation with the recruitment agency went like this:

Agent: "The client have requested that you use DASA rather than Clarity Umbrella."
    Me: "Is that just a request, or are they insisting on it?"
    Agent: "Yes, they are requesting that you use DASA."
    Me: "Can I say no?"
    Agent: "They have requested that you use DASA."

It's frustrating since I spoke to the agency last week (when they offered me the contract), and one of my first questions was "Can I use any umbrella or do you have a preferred supplier list?" At that point, they said I could use anyone, so I've already signed an employment contract with Clarity; I'm guessing that I'll now need to get a P45 from them, before I've done any work...
    Are the client paying DASA's fee? Because otherwise I would be asking if there is a kickback involved.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Are the client paying DASA's fee? Because otherwise I would be asking if there is a kickback involved.
      Nope, I'd be paying the margin: £108/month, which is higher than I've seen at other umbrellas (typically £15-20/week = £65-80/month), but not completely exorbitant. I'm pretty sure you're right about the kickback.

When I spoke to DASA on the phone, they also said that I'd submit a monthly timesheet and then the invoice would be paid by the recruitment agency 30 days later. E.g. if I started tomorrow then I wouldn't get any money until the end of May. At previous umbrellas, I've submitted a weekly timesheet and been paid the following week.

I think I'm probably going to abandon this contract, but hopefully this info is useful to anyone else considering DASA in the future.

Comment

DASA have won best Umbrella under 1500 people the last two years running at the CUK awards and also sponser the event. Don't want to upset admin as they are helping fund his Bently but it appears all the kick backs don't just stop with the agencies

If you are going to abandon it anyway I'd stick to my guns and insist on Clarity to the final breath of that gig. Agency might be getting kickbacks but it can't be as much as them losing commission for a couple of weeks while they find a replacement and suffer the wrath of their client when they find out (oops) you left because of umbrella kickbacks.

If that fails tell Lucy, come to the CUK event and sit back as she kicks the living tulip out of them.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 April 2023, 21:38.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it the agency getting the kick back or is it the client? I presume we're assuming the agency are lying about the client insisting on the use of this umbrella and this particular agent needs to put petrol in his Fiat Panda.

Depending on your relationship with the client, you could also check with them if they do have a preferred umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If that fails tell Lucy, come to the CUK event and sit back as she kicks the living tulip out of them.
            What do you take me for????

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
              When I spoke to DASA on the phone, they also said that I'd submit a monthly timesheet and then the invoice would be paid by the recruitment agency 30 days later. E.g. if I started tomorrow then I wouldn't get any money until the end of May. At previous umbrellas, I've submitted a weekly timesheet and been paid the following week.
              Depends on the agency as to the invoicing frequency, so if its a different agency they may have different terms with the client to what you've had with other agencies.

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments. The idea is that the chain would be:
                Me -> umbrella -> recruitment agency -> consultancy -> end client

Based on that, I'm not sure why the consultancy would care about the umbrella, but I suppose it's possible that they've made this a requirement of their supply chain (either to avoid being implicated in anything dodgy or to get kickbacks). If this restriction came from the agency, I'd have expected them to tell me earlier, rather than waiting until I'd already signed up with another umbrella.

That said (and drifting a bit off-topic), I don't entirely trust the agency. I had my interview 2 weeks ago, and it was supposed to be an immediate start, but they've been slow to respond. I contacted the consultancy directly yesterday, and they said that they've been haggling with the agency about the daily rate, but they emphasised that this wouldn't affect me directly, i.e. my rate wouldn't change. The agency then came back and said that they had to reduce my rate by £20/day, otherwise they'd be on zero commission. So, someone's not telling me the truth.

This is the first time I've come across these payment terms. I'm willing to accept that this is a legitimate option, but it shouldn't have come as a surprise. When I spoke to the agency today, I mentioned the key information document, which I think was a brand new concept for them. If I had a decent warchest then it wouldn't be such a problem, but mine is now depleted. So, if I took this contract and started next week, I'd get no money in April, 8 days of salary at the end of May, then a month's salary at the end of June. I'll be bankrupt by then, so it's a no go. (This relates to what NLUK said, i.e. there's no point in me insisting on Clarity with the same payment terms, because it still wouldn't work.)

Comment

That's a really crappy situation to be in.

I've had payments terms like that before but I had enough in the bank to cover the first couple of lean months.

Other than keep looking for an alternative contract that will start sooner and pay quicker, I'm not sure what else to suggest. It sounds like there's multiple games being played and you're the one that's going to get screwed over.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    That's a really crappy situation to be in.

I've had payments terms like that before but I had enough in the bank to cover the first couple of lean months.

Other than keep looking for an alternative contract that will start sooner and pay quicker, I'm not sure what else to suggest. It sounds like there's multiple games being played and you're the one that's going to get screwed over.
                    Reality is that inside IR35 work should be weekly billing on 7 day terms or at worst monthly billing with 7 day terms.

if you want an employee you should be paying them like an employee.

And I would understand the statement that we want you to use DASA because they will pay you before they get paid (that's how paystream got so big) but insisting on DASA while also insisting on 30 day terms is taking the absolute mickey.

Finally hobnob wish I could give you some usable advice but apart from asking the agency to pay the first couple of invoices early (the first agency when I returned to contracting did that as they knew people had problems and they were nice like that) I can't see any easy solution.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X