• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BEWARE Umbrella companies bring cloned for tax avoidance purposes!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEWARE Umbrella companies bring cloned for tax avoidance purposes!

Being offered 85% take home???? Let's make one thing very clear, it simply isn't possible if the umbrella is paying the taxes properly. As a 40% tax payer, then percentage take home from the day rate would usually be between 52 and 58%.

So why am I stating this once again and I feel like a broken record, so my apologies?

Well, we are aware that there are some "cloned" umbrella companies doing the rounds out there, and we are one of the "lucky" companies they have honed in on amongst others.

The company looking to impersonate us has been incorporated as Clarity Umbrella PAYE Ltd (originally Clarity Umbrela Ltd - then I guess the individuals behind this realised that maybe Companies House may listen to our appeal and now they think there is a big enough difference for people not to mistake us!).

Clarity Umbrella PAYE Ltd is NOT, and I repeat NOT, Clarity Umbrella Ltd! And we have nothing to do with this business whatsoever.

In recent days, it appears that these "cloned" companies are now making a beeline to the contractors trying to sell the delights of 85% take home, a blatant tax avoidance scheme. As appealing as it may be, it is always going to land you in the proverbial!

It is also a concern that they are simply looking to scam the contractor's money as it leaves the agency! And boom the money is gone!

So this is no sales pitch, but please, please be aware, do your due diligence on a company and make sure it is really the company you think it is! There are about 12 companies that I am aware of so far, but please feel free to add to this list if you receive any communication promoting these schemes as I am sure there will be more!

So far you can find the list of the cloned companies that have been registered here:
    https://find-and-update.company-info...w/appointments
    https://find-and-update.company-info...o/appointments

This needs to be a sticky

Comment

It would also be really helpful if anyone comes across any new clones to post it on here too! Anything to keep people aware

Comment

Stuck.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And the bits Lucy forgot to add

1) No scheme has worked since about 2009 - no-one has suddenly found a means of legitimately avoiding tax
          2) Saving money now won't save you money long term. If you use a scheme, HMRC will demand any unpaid money plus interest plus FINES

You are responsible for your tax bill - so any shortcuts / underpayments now would be found out and just come back to haunt you...

Remember agencies submit how much they have paid for your work. If your PAYE tax account doesn't match what the agency reports, the first person HMRC will ask to fix the issue will be you by presenting a large bill while expecting immediate (30 days) payment.

As for checking whether a company is legitimate -
          1) the FCSA and Professional Passport list the phone number of their members there - use them to find the umbrella's phone number and call them.
          2) there isn't the money within an umbrella firm to cold call people directly. The only time an umbrella firm is going to call people is if you've got a new contract and the agency is proactive and notifies the umbrellas on their PSL list. That's so unlikely it's not going to happen.
          Last edited by eek; 22 October 2021, 10:11.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well...... I am (almost) speechless at this. After everything that has been going on for well over a decade, schemes are still being offered and people are still signing up for them? Being honest, I had not a massive amount of sympathy the first time around. Anyone who signs up today deserves everything that's coming to them, frankly.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Well...... I am (almost) speechless at this. After everything that has been going on for well over a decade, schemes are still being offered and people are still signing up for them? Being honest, I had not a massive amount of sympathy the first time around. Anyone who signs up today deserves everything that's coming to them, frankly.
              Yep - but it's hard to actually work out what to tell people when some FCSA umbrellas still use phrases like "maximising your income".

The reality is that there is a need for an education advertising scheme that goes

1) You (and only you, not your agency, not your employer, not your umbrella) are responsible for the tax on your income.
              2) HMRC have details from your agency telling them exactly how much they've paid you - and will notice the difference.

The problem is that you can't say that without someone objecting to it for marketing reasons, and there are nuances in the above that get complex incredibly quickly.
              Last edited by eek; 22 October 2021, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep - but it's hard to actually work out what to tell people when some FCSA umbrellas still use phrases like "maximising your income".

The reality is that there is a need for an education advertising scheme that goes

1) You (and only you, not your agency, not your employer, not your umbrella) are responsible for the tax on your income.
                2) HMRC have details from your agency telling them exactly how much they've paid you - and will notice the difference.

The problem is that you can't say that without someone objecting to it for marketing reasons, and there are nuances in the above that get complex incredibly quickly.
                Nuances because people are aiming to cheat the law? Complications because in general people are not educated about tax law, or even how it works, much less that it is not susceptible to interpretation or manipulation beyond the legal boundaries. Not helped by Brown's messing about with tax credits (aka give me all your money and I may give some of it back to you to spend) and the total confusion over acceptable and unacceptable avoidance

Marketing has to be honest, legally. Saying you can return a significantly greater percentage than anyone else is dishonest. HMRC aren't going to start telling the truth, since that will spoil their own little party, Until DBERR and the ASA take action, however, the problem will persist.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Nuances because people are aiming to cheat the law? Complications because in general people are not educated about tax law, or even how it works, much less that it is not susceptible to interpretation or manipulation beyond the legal boundaries. Not helped by Brown's messing about with tax credits (aka give me all your money and I may give some of it back to you to spend) and the total confusion over acceptable and unacceptable avoidance

Marketing has to be honest, legally. Saying you can return a significantly greater percentage than anyone else is dishonest. HMRC aren't going to start telling the truth, since that will spoil their own little party, Until DBERR and the ASA take action, however, the problem will persist.
                  Absolutely correct. As an aside, the major job platforms are promoting tax avoidance schemes in their banner ads. I did make complaints to a couple of the very well known oil and gas job advert websites about them promoting shady tax avoidance schemes. But my complaints fell on deaf ears.

When someone naively clicks through the banner ads to the schemes, the job advert websites in my opinion are giving some legitimacy to the scheme operators. I don't know what can be done because there's too many vested financial interests at play all taking their cut.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Absolutely correct. As an aside, the major job platforms are promoting tax avoidance schemes in their banner ads. I did make complaints to a couple of the very well known oil and gas job advert websites about them promoting shady tax avoidance schemes. But my complaints fell on deaf ears.

When someone naively clicks through the banner ads to the schemes, the job advert websites in my opinion are giving some legitimacy to the scheme operators. I don't know what can be done because there's too many vested financial interests at play all taking their cut.
                    The reality is that any agency caught promoting / paying via a scheme (Mini Umbrella Company (MUC) schemes are the best example but others are available) the end result will be HMRC seeking the lost tax back from the agency.

In the case of using a Mini Umbrella firm the immediate impact for the agency is on VAT as the deduction of VAT paid to the MUC will be disallowed and HMRC will seek the VAT from the agency.

It's probably the case that the current attempt for schemes to pass themselves off as legitimate umbrella firms because agencies are becoming more careful regarding who they deal with and abusing a name may allow them to pass the checks of less careful agencies.

Comment

Working...
                    X