• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella offering expenses?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep - if the contract is outside IR35 and you are not subject to SDC and wish to use an umbrella then you could claim expenses.

However, the umbrellas that push expenses don't use the outside distinction and have a questionnaire that is surprisingly easy to pass given the hints they provide...

Sane umbrellas won't touch the idea with a barge-pole as HMRC investigations aren't fun and will result in a large cost even if you are 100% in the right.
    Gotcha. That's what I thought.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Yep - if the contract is outside IR35 and you are not subject to SDC and wish to use an umbrella then you could claim expenses.
      So my conversation with HMRC back when IR35 came into the public sector was along these lines...

If inside IR35, likelihood is that the contractor would fail an SDC test (not that an official test actually exists), on a rare occasion that the end client would declare that the contractor is not under SDC, then the contractor "may" be able to claim these back via self assessment at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post

So my conversation with HMRC back when IR35 came into the public sector was along these lines...

If inside IR35, likelihood is that the contractor would fail an SDC test (not that an official test actually exists), on a rare occasion that the end client would declare that the contractor is not under SDC, then the contractor "may" be able to claim these back via self assessment at the end of the year.
        Which the less scrupulous umbrellas are using as a sales tactic to get clueless contractors interested?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Which the less scrupulous umbrellas are using as a sales tactic to get clueless contractors interested?
          Yep including some names that I thought would be above such things...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surprised????? Honestly????

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
              Surprised????? Honestly????
              Short term gains against potential long term loss in reputation, not that anyone really has any reputation worth protection beyond a couple of exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Looking for a new brolly now and noticed a lot of them are still saying "you might be able to get travelling expenses".
                As an example, I had an inside contract (via an umbrella) with an MSP. I.e. various other organisations had outsourced the IT to them. If I drove out to a client site to replace their router, I could claim the travelling expenses between the MSP's office and the client site (45p/mile). However, I couldn't claim anything to get from my home to the MSP's office.
                NB The mileage expenses were on top of my daily rate, i.e. this didn't reduce the amount of tax/NI that I paid.

I think that NLUK is correct: the umbrella has chosen their words carefully, to say something that is technically true, but potentially misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

As an example, I had an inside contract (via an umbrella) with an MSP. I.e. various other organisations had outsourced the IT to them. If I drove out to a client site to replace their router, I could claim the travelling expenses between the MSP's office and the client site (45p/mile). However, I couldn't claim anything to get from my home to the MSP's office.
                  NB The mileage expenses were on top of my daily rate, i.e. this didn't reduce the amount of tax/NI that I paid.

I think that NLUK is correct: the umbrella has chosen their words carefully, to say something that is technically true, but potentially misleading.
                  Rechargeable expenses are allowed - the issue is none rechargeable (sustenance) expenses

Comment

Working...
                  X