• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F'ing NAS took a dump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F'ing NAS took a dump

Very frustrating.

Had one hard drive start playing up, (out of 4), was in the process of sorting a return out to the supplier, then another drive decided to disappear.

Everything gone!!!

I have backups of my accounts, photos and other irreplaceable stuff but my video collection has gone.

Well P155£D off!!!!!!!

Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Oh Dear!

I thought that these things were THE way to backup??

(PS - they weren't all from the same retailer/manufacturer, were they?)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      my video collection has gone.

Well P155£D off!!!!!!!

I don't think the plugins you can get for downloading from video sites work on Redtube, so replacing them may be a pain.

Comment

Off site - Crashplan.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Off site - Crashplan.....
          +1 and use something you know works....

Unraid requires a standard server but as standard will survive 1 dead disk and if more than 1 dies it the data on the remain disks is readable....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What box? Just lost a disk in my Synology, only its not the disk, its the box. 411+

Luckily I also back it all up to my Synology 412
            World's Best Martini

Comment

That is a tulipter. Hope you didn't lose anything precious. Sometimes it's good to just have a clear out of cruft anyways.

Backing up to a NAS is one thing, but if you actually keep stuff on a NAS you need to back the NAS itself up. I find a couple of large SATA drives in USB enclosures gives me peace of mind.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I keep two backup routines, local and offsite. QNAP and Crashplan.

QNAP is poop and red light is flashing so I've bought something more substantial!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  That is a tulipter. Hope you didn't lose anything precious. Sometimes it's good to just have a clear out of cruft anyways.

Backing up to a NAS is one thing, but if you actually keep stuff on a NAS you need to back the NAS itself up. I find a couple of large SATA drives in USB enclosures gives me peace of mind.
                  That's how I do it. I have two cheapo WD My Books that take two large drives each, each device is set as a single volume. I have a robocopy script set to run each night from my server copying my videos from my NAS to one and everything else that's either a severe pain to replace or valuable to me on the other. That way if my NAS box decides to fry itself and the disks that I have a backup of the files.

I'm always putting off getting a second NAS box and sticking it in my nice little sealed area in my garage so that if the house goes up in flames then my files are at least safe.

Comment

Honestly take a look at Crashplan!

Comment

Working...
                    X