• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F'ing NAS took a dump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ha ha, yes indeed, my important stuff took a week or two, my photos took 4-6 weeks. And that's just for 200GB!

Comment

My ReadyNas DUO is start to throw out warnings so the push to replaced it has been expedited.

Current setup is ReadyNAS DUO v1 with 2 x 2tb drives in straight mirror running at about 80% utilised, used for Time Capsule backups from Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, also as a storage for iTunes on the MacMini, as about 1tb of videos on there, a pain in the arse if it goes but not the end of the world. Important stuff (photos etc) is backed upto 1.1tb of Dropbox space.

I want to move to a 4 bay NAS in a RAID 5 config as I want read speed as the primary factor when I am pulling of HD films etc, looking at the QNAP TS-469L using 3TB WD Red HDD, bought from two different vendors to try and avoid any build quality errors from a bad batch.

Anyone want to pick holes in my plan?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        My ReadyNas DUO is start to throw out warnings so the push to replaced it has been expedited.

Current setup is ReadyNAS DUO v1 with 2 x 2tb drives in straight mirror running at about 80% utilised, used for Time Capsule backups from Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, also as a storage for iTunes on the MacMini, as about 1tb of videos on there, a pain in the arse if it goes but not the end of the world. Important stuff (photos etc) is backed upto 1.1tb of Dropbox space.

I want to move to a 4 bay NAS in a RAID 5 config as I want read speed as the primary factor when I am pulling of HD films etc, looking at the QNAP TS-469L using 3TB WD Red HDD, bought from two different vendors to try and avoid any build quality errors from a bad batch.

different vendors at the same time won't solve anything as chances are they will be from the same distributor / shipment.

I also have a general dislike of raid 5 for media servers as it doesn't really offer anything that can't be achieved via a parity system (unraid / snapraid / grumpy) yet requires all disks to be installed at the same start point (resulting in compounded risk).

Given the price of that box is there not a quiet mini-itx computer you buy for the same money and install debian / arch or something on it...
        Last edited by eek; 1 December 2014, 19:57.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          different vendors at the same time won't solve anything as chances are they will be from the same distributor / shipment.

I also have a general dislike of raid 5 for media servers as it doesn't really offer anything that can't be achieved via a parity system (unraid / snapraid / grumpy) yet requires all disks to be installed at the same start point (resulting in compounded risk).

Given the price of that box is there not a quiet mini-itx computer you buy for the same money and install debian / arch or something on it...
          I'm after a noddy system, can't be arsed with micro tower and OS, just want it to tick along in the background

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You will need to buy two different brand of disks then to get any security over batch issues. 1 of each type from a computer shop and 1 from Amazon (on the basis that Amazon probably source globally)

Comment

I have a synology 4 Disk NAs as well and have been looking at the QNAP-TS-469/70 pro but these babies are expensive.

Suggestion on another forum was to dump the Synology/Qnap Nas and go for a HP microserver which is cheaper and faster.

Are they good?

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                I have a synology 4 Disk NAs as well and have been looking at the QNAP-TS-469/70 pro but these babies are expensive.

Suggestion on another forum was to dump the Synology/Qnap Nas and go for a HP microserver which is cheaper and faster.

Are they good?
                They used to be. I don't think the £100 microserver is available anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

Are they good?
                  The PRO's are a bit out of my price range, was looking at the TS-469L which can be picked up for £400 diskless

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  They used to be. I don't think the £100 microserver is available anymore...
                  I want to avoid the microserver route, only want something simple to back up my various Mac's and store videos

Comment

The PRO's are a bit out of my price range, was looking at the TS-469L which can be picked up for £400 diskless

I want to avoid the microserver route, only want something simple to back up my various Mac's and store videos
                    I know that. I was just pointing out to css_jay99 that the £100 servers are no more so they no longer have the major cash savings the £100 micro server offered.

Comment

I just acquired an Oracle ZFS Unified Storage Appliance, fingers crossed it will stop me buying second hand storage arrays....

Comment

Working...
                      X