• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "F'ing NAS took a dump"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Going for a 4 disk RAID10, need to work out if I should bother keeping the good 2TB drive in my existing NAS or not as its a fair few years old anyway

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I also have a general dislike of raid 5 for media servers as it doesn't really offer anything that can't be achieved via a parity system (unraid / snapraid / grumpy) yet requires all disks to be installed at the same start point (resulting in compounded risk).
    Nobody should be using RAID5 for anything, ideally.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I took a look at the prices of this stuff and can't figure out why people would buy them. Is it just for the turnkey solution?

I literally took a AMD machine out of a skip, put new memory and power supply on it and added a 4disk RAID. Than installed a linux distro and off I went. that was five years ago. Only issue I had is finding a small ATA disk as the boot drive is ATA. The raid disks are SATA.
    Turnkey, ease of use, partner-acceptance-factor and resilience. Most consumer RAID cards are tulipe and software raid is rarely the place to be, unless you're doing something with JBOD.

If I wanted a NAS for the wife and I to store things on I'd go off the shelf, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I took a look at the prices of this stuff and can't figure out why people would buy them. Is it just for the turnkey solution?

I literally took a AMD machine out of a skip, put new memory and power supply on it and added a 4disk RAID. Than installed a linux distro and off I went. that was five years ago. Only issue I had is finding a small ATA disk as the boot drive is ATA. The raid disks are SATA.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a lot of Linux Distros but that is a bit OTT
    It's for my AIX, Oracle Solaris, and HP-UX Distros, honest....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I just acquired an Oracle ZFS Unified Storage Appliance, fingers crossed it will stop me buying second hand storage arrays....
    I have a lot of p0rn but that is a bit OTT

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I just acquired an Oracle ZFS Unified Storage Appliance, fingers crossed it will stop me buying second hand storage arrays....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The PRO's are a bit out of my price range, was looking at the TS-469L which can be picked up for £400 diskless

I want to avoid the microserver route, only want something simple to back up my various Mac's and store videos
    I know that. I was just pointing out to css_jay99 that the £100 servers are no more so they no longer have the major cash savings the £100 micro server offered.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I have a synology 4 Disk NAs as well and have been looking at the QNAP-TS-469/70 pro but these babies are expensive.

Suggestion on another forum was to dump the Synology/Qnap Nas and go for a HP microserver which is cheaper and faster.

Are they good?
    The PRO's are a bit out of my price range, was looking at the TS-469L which can be picked up for £400 diskless

They used to be. I don't think the £100 microserver is available anymore...
    I want to avoid the microserver route, only want something simple to back up my various Mac's and store videos

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I have a synology 4 Disk NAs as well and have been looking at the QNAP-TS-469/70 pro but these babies are expensive.

Suggestion on another forum was to dump the Synology/Qnap Nas and go for a HP microserver which is cheaper and faster.

Are they good?
    They used to be. I don't think the £100 microserver is available anymore...

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    My ReadyNas DUO is start to throw out warnings so the push to replaced it has been expedited.

Current setup is ReadyNAS DUO v1 with 2 x 2tb drives in straight mirror running at about 80% utilised, used for Time Capsule backups from Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, also as a storage for iTunes on the MacMini, as about 1tb of videos on there, a pain in the arse if it goes but not the end of the world. Important stuff (photos etc) is backed upto 1.1tb of Dropbox space.

I want to move to a 4 bay NAS in a RAID 5 config as I want read speed as the primary factor when I am pulling of HD films etc, looking at the QNAP TS-469L using 3TB WD Red HDD, bought from two different vendors to try and avoid any build quality errors from a bad batch.

Anyone want to pick holes in my plan?

Are they good?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You will need to buy two different brand of disks then to get any security over batch issues. 1 of each type from a computer shop and 1 from Amazon (on the basis that Amazon probably source globally)

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    different vendors at the same time won't solve anything as chances are they will be from the same distributor / shipment.

I also have a general dislike of raid 5 for media servers as it doesn't really offer anything that can't be achieved via a parity system (unraid / snapraid / grumpy) yet requires all disks to be installed at the same start point (resulting in compounded risk).

Given the price of that box is there not a quiet mini-itx computer you buy for the same money and install debian / arch or something on it...
    I'm after a noddy system, can't be arsed with micro tower and OS, just want it to tick along in the background

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    My ReadyNas DUO is start to throw out warnings so the push to replaced it has been expedited.

Current setup is ReadyNAS DUO v1 with 2 x 2tb drives in straight mirror running at about 80% utilised, used for Time Capsule backups from Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, also as a storage for iTunes on the MacMini, as about 1tb of videos on there, a pain in the arse if it goes but not the end of the world. Important stuff (photos etc) is backed upto 1.1tb of Dropbox space.

I want to move to a 4 bay NAS in a RAID 5 config as I want read speed as the primary factor when I am pulling of HD films etc, looking at the QNAP TS-469L using 3TB WD Red HDD, bought from two different vendors to try and avoid any build quality errors from a bad batch.

different vendors at the same time won't solve anything as chances are they will be from the same distributor / shipment.

Given the price of that box is there not a quiet mini-itx computer you buy for the same money and install debian / arch or something on it...
    Last edited by eek; 1 December 2014, 19:57.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X