• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big monitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big monitors

I think my 21 inch 1600 * 1200 dual monitor set up is seen better days. One flickers and, well they are just old dark monitors that use a lot of power and the split is a fecker when working on music stuff.

I'm looking to probably move to a single monitor, it seems like 2560 *1600 or 1440 is as big as you can go, 27 - 30 inch. Any recommendations?

First look seems to come up with this kind of kit..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrash...im_computers_6

Cheers

Quite a few one-star reviews there.

But my (now old) Dell 24" is magic.

try a samsung?

Comment

Never even read the reviews actually.

Seems Samsung are showing up ones for about 530

Like this but blowing my budget at 730

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Samsung S27B970 27 inch Widescreen LED PLS Ultra Thin Professional Monitor - Gloss Black/Silver (2560x 1440 WQHD, 5ms, DVI, DP, HDMI, USB, MHL, Speakers)

Comment

Lacie & Eizo are both very high quality, but these are not cheap. The HP ones seem to get good reviews, the ones they had at last client co were nice enough though I don't know if it was the exact same model as this:

HP ZR2740w - LED monitor - 27" - 2560 x 1440 - IPS - 380 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 12 ms (XW476AT#ABU) - dabs.com
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Sooner or later you will come across the Korean imports.
          The basic idea is that pretty much all >HD 27" IPS panel are the same - all produced by LG so whether you're buying Dell, Hp, Apple or huangwong, you're basically getting the same tech.
          For practical and warranty reasons, I recommend buying for a UK retailer, for example this beauty:
          DGM 27" for 360, which, while not exactly cheap, is still far less than Dell or Apple.

Comment

Sorry to go on a tangent, but does anyone know if you can use an iMac as an external PC monitor? They are pretty lovely displays so in theory it seems a neat way to have Mac+PC, but I've no idea if you can use it as a dumb monitor.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Sorry to go on a tangent, but does anyone know if you can use an iMac as an external PC monitor? They are pretty lovely displays so in theory it seems a neat way to have Mac+PC, but I've no idea if you can use it as a dumb monitor.
              I know some people using an imac as a display with their macbook retina so its possible.

A quick google says that you need thunderport for it to work so unless your pc has one you're out of luck
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I think my 21 inch 1600 * 1200 dual monitor set up is seen better days. One flickers and, well they are just old dark monitors that use a lot of power and the split is a fecker when working on music stuff.

I'm looking to probably move to a single monitor, it seems like 2560 *1600 or 1440 is as big as you can go, 27 - 30 inch. Any recommendations?

First look seems to come up with this kind of kit..

Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH IPS 27 inch Widescreen Monitor with LED: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Cheers
                I have 2 Dell U2711's (Sept 2011), they are lovely, always run them at 2560x1440. More expensive that the down market brands but I would recommend if you have the money.

I have a Dell 2407 on my secondary desktop, no problems since 2006.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Then again I am a bit of a whacko, but I would buy one of those Quad HD korean monitors. Something on the lines of what is mentioned here:

Cheap Korean/ebay 27" 2560x1440 monitor £217 - any good? - Hot UK Deals

Or, if this fits your bill, seems like a decent price...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=hotukdeals-21
                  Last edited by tranceporter; 10 April 2013, 13:12.
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                    Sooner or later you will come across the Korean imports.
                    The basic idea is that pretty much all >HD 27" IPS panel are the same - all produced by LG so whether you're buying Dell, Hp, Apple or huangwong, you're basically getting the same tech.
                    For practical and warranty reasons, I recommend buying for a UK retailer, for example this beauty:
                    DGM 27" for 360, which, while not exactly cheap, is still far less than Dell or Apple.
                    only downside of those is that you can't adjust the height of them. That may or may not be a problem depending on your desk layout.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X