• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS Recommendations please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drobo. expensive but easy to use and has very good features.

Drobo: Small Box | Big Storage

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
      Thanks for the advice so far chaps... and to NLUK who remains as predictable as ever, however the world moves on and the latest results of a search were more than 6 months old which is about a generation in IT terms...
      It does and I am interested in this as well, just throwing that in to see if anyone can add new ones. I was interested in the one that had the compatible wireless cameras but they were far too expensive so hoping something else had appeared.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

HP Microserver + FreeNAS. I have this and it's pretty much bulletproof. I would install Linux or similar, but I would end up tinkering and break something.

ZFS is IMO the best currently available filesystem.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Re: NAS Recommendations please

+1 for the micro server, I've got Ubuntu server running on mine!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Drobo. expensive but easy to use and has very good features.

Drobo: Small Box | Big Storage
            Fine until it goes wrong and you need to buy a replacement one. Nothing has changed on that front since I debated unraid or drobo 3 years ago.

Unraid still wins because even after multiple disks fail I would be able to read everything left on the other disks.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a ReadyNAS Duo, it is OK for home use, but would be beyond the capabilities that you ask for in respect to AD etc, for that you would need to go to the Pro series, but the UI is a doddle on the Netgears
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Looking to purchase the Synology DS213 air in a few days, will be adding in x2 2TB WD RED SATA drives. Apparently the Synology OS is quite user friendly. Will let you know how it goes.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I had the Synology DS211J (a 2-bay NAS) and it was massively underpowered for my needs, anything more than a basic file storage platform and the ARM CPU was thwarted.

I "upgraded" to a HP MicroServer which I filled with 4x2TB drives in a RAID5 array. The server boots VMWare ESXi off a USB stick attached directly to the motherboard and from there can boot whatever OS you like as a VM. I currently run Ubuntu Server which is used as my CCTV monitoring platform with IP cams dotted around the house.

I more recently upgraded to a HP ML110 full server (Intel Xeon-based) and have the same ESXi setup but this one flies! It currently serves as a file server, download station, SSH server, VPN server, web cache/proxy, DHCP, DNS and also serves TV (DVB-T2 and DVB-S2) around the house (all thanks to the ability to use PCI-E cards in ESXi...if of course you have a compatible processor).

Comment

Working...
                  X