• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NAS Recommendations please"

Collapse

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    I had the Synology DS211J (a 2-bay NAS) and it was massively underpowered for my needs, anything more than a basic file storage platform and the ARM CPU was thwarted.

I "upgraded" to a HP MicroServer which I filled with 4x2TB drives in a RAID5 array. The server boots VMWare ESXi off a USB stick attached directly to the motherboard and from there can boot whatever OS you like as a VM. I currently run Ubuntu Server which is used as my CCTV monitoring platform with IP cams dotted around the house.

I more recently upgraded to a HP ML110 full server (Intel Xeon-based) and have the same ESXi setup but this one flies! It currently serves as a file server, download station, SSH server, VPN server, web cache/proxy, DHCP, DNS and also serves TV (DVB-T2 and DVB-S2) around the house (all thanks to the ability to use PCI-E cards in ESXi...if of course you have a compatible processor).

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Looking to purchase the Synology DS213 air in a few days, will be adding in x2 2TB WD RED SATA drives. Apparently the Synology OS is quite user friendly. Will let you know how it goes.

qh

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I have a ReadyNAS Duo, it is OK for home use, but would be beyond the capabilities that you ask for in respect to AD etc, for that you would need to go to the Pro series, but the UI is a doddle on the Netgears

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Drobo. expensive but easy to use and has very good features.

Drobo: Small Box | Big Storage
    Fine until it goes wrong and you need to buy a replacement one. Nothing has changed on that front since I debated unraid or drobo 3 years ago.

Unraid still wins because even after multiple disks fail I would be able to read everything left on the other disks.

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Re: NAS Recommendations please

+1 for the micro server, I've got Ubuntu server running on mine!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    HP Microserver + FreeNAS. I have this and it's pretty much bulletproof. I would install Linux or similar, but I would end up tinkering and break something.

ZFS is IMO the best currently available filesystem.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far chaps... and to NLUK who remains as predictable as ever, however the world moves on and the latest results of a search were more than 6 months old which is about a generation in IT terms...
    It does and I am interested in this as well, just throwing that in to see if anyone can add new ones. I was interested in the one that had the compatible wireless cameras but they were far too expensive so hoping something else had appeared.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Drobo. expensive but easy to use and has very good features.

Drobo: Small Box | Big Storage

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I really would go for an HP microserver with ubuntu or windows home server (even though that is approaching end of live).

Granted its not as immediately practical until you install an operating system but once thats installed it will be a lot more flexible.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I have a ReadyNAS NV+. The IO speed is infuriatingly slow, but it is a few years old now.

I wouldn't get one now...

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I have a QNAP 410 TS which does everything that you mention.

Configured Raid 5 with 4 1Tb drives.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Another happy synology customer here. If you're not sure which model to go for, bear in mind that they all use the same interface, so the apps are the same. Depends on your appetite for risk (raid capabilities) and storage requirements. I went for the 411+2 - 4 x 3Tb disks in raid 5 config. Works well.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I didn't think we'd had a NAS thread for a while - good work for starting one...

I've heard good things about Synology, and am considering a purchase, but not sure which model to go for.

Leave a comment:

• TraceRacing
    replied
    Thanks for the advice so far chaps... and to NLUK who remains as predictable as ever, however the world moves on and the latest results of a search were more than 6 months old which is about a generation in IT terms...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    nas forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pc+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

Working...
X