• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8 public beta released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    WTF is "Metro"?
    Mirosofts attempt to capture the tablet market, lol...only 3 years too late.

Comment

Metro is very primitive dumbed down interface - looks like Metro apps can only be maximised which goes completely against flexible concept of Windows that can interlap as the user feels like, something that made Microsoft successful in the first place.

If they do not provide easy switch off of this Metro tulip in at least business targeted builds then they'll bomb the release much worse than Vista.

Comment

Its just windows 7 with no start button and the Metro interface if you are on a tablet (can be disabled via a reg hack), I'm sure someone's going to come up with a reg hack to restore the start button, or perhaps MS will include it in the final version. In the meantime:

Windows 8 God Mode

Right click on your desktop

Create a new folder

Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Watch the icon change and you have access to every config tool in win8

(you can put anything as the text preceding the . )

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Metro is very primitive dumbed down interface - looks like Metro apps can only be maximised which goes completely against flexible concept of Windows that can interlap as the user feels like, something that made Microsoft successful in the first place.

If they do not provide easy switch off of this Metro tulip in at least business targeted builds then they'll bomb the release much worse than Vista.
          I could write a better SKA in the time you've spent blithering on about MS' UI decisions.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'll wait to see what W8 devices are going to be available before I pass judgement. I wasn't impressed with the development preview though as the metro interface was a bit of a mess.

The R&D department here at my ClientCo have been playing with Cisco tablets that can be docked when you are at your desk - Remember the Cisco tablet? More are on the way | Mobile - CNET News

Now if you couple something like this with a proper desktop OS (that can be used in tablet mode and in desktop mode - like W8) and a desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse as well I think you will have the replacement for desktops, deskphones and laptops in the workplace.

Time will tell ...
            Last edited by redgiant; 2 March 2012, 10:03.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I could write a better SKA in the time you've spent blithering on about MS' UI decisions.
              Why won't you try?

Comment

Minestrone made that boast once and where is he now?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Which part of SKA? The data collection routines, the data processing routines majesticseo's front end or the bits that AtW hints at but doesn't want to reveal yet?
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Which part of SKA? The data collection routines, the data processing routines majesticseo's front end or the bits that AtW hints at but doesn't want to reveal yet?
                    Presumably all the code I wrote in the last 7 years...

Comment

Why won't you try?
                      I'm spending the time on my own project.

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Which part of SKA?
                      Presumably all the code I wrote in the last 7 years...
                      Exactly.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X