• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8 public beta released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for those who want it: Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

I'm interested but don't have a spare PC of sufficient power. Will await reports on CUK

Also - what's IE10 like?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cheers, just installed it in a VM. Funky!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        A small step for humanity, a giant leap for the man who once said that 640k ought to be enough for everybody.
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

is it less than 32gb to install on an SD Card?
          will it work on a new Raspberry Pi?
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Is it still OS/2 - NT with knobs on?

Comment

from TechRadar

Consumer Preview is far and away the most touch-friendly version of Windows ever (and it no longer treats mouse and keyboard users like second class citizens). That won't be enough but it's a very promising start.
              To me it seems:
              - a 3rd place OS alternative behind Apple and Google in the tablet OS market
              - not a serious replacement/upgrade to Windows 7 for normal desktop/laptop users with it's touch based OS
              - it's use of swipe and gestures is a effort to catch up with Apple's OSX Lion but seems dated in comparisson
              - it's all wrapped up in a 80's throwback looking OS.

I don't think I will be upgrading to Windows 8 on my main PC or laptop.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                from TechRadar

To me it seems:
                - not a serious replacement/upgrade to Windows 7 for normal desktop/laptop users with it's touch based OS
                - it's use of swipe and gestures is a effort to catch up with Apple's OSX Lion but seems dated in comparisson

Microsoft is always 1 decent operating system followed by 1 or more duds.

Vista was a dud. Win 7 is decent so Win 8 is another dud.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  from TechRadar

To me it seems:

What I would like to see now is a powerful windows 8 laptop with a removable screen like the Asus Transformer.
                  Lifting off the screen shifts it into a low power mode
                  Keyboard section includes extra battery power, possibly extra hard disk bays and the majority of the external connectors.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Touchscreen monitors are cheap nowadays. Lots of PC's for the home are now those all in one's with touchscreens.

They are great for the wee kids. Paint programs etc are great fun for them. We run win 7 + a cheapo touchscreen on one of our PCs, it works great but like most desktop OS's targets are designed for mouse clicks rather than fat fingers.

Windows 8 is essentially win 7 + the metro interface, so should be fairly solid. And a win 8 tablet is appealing, especially if they get touch integration with an xbox.

I will reserve judgement until my 3 year old has tried it.
                    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X