• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS drive

OK I've decided against the idea of a central home server and opted to buy a NAS drive instead. I'll mainly be using this for media and want it on all day so it looks like the better (and easier) option for me. My PS3 can't seem to handle steaming very well from the main home PC (using PS3 media server) so I'm hoping a NAS will serve us better.

Again they're not cheap though - we're looking at £100 for the cheapest Buffalo with just 1Tb provided.

Anyone know of good NAS deals out there at the moment?

Any for or against argument to be had on a NAS?

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    OK I've decided against the idea of a central home server and opted to buy a NAS drive instead. I'll mainly be using this for media and want it on all day so it looks like the better (and easier) option for me. My PS3 can't seem to handle steaming very well from the main home PC (using PS3 media server) so I'm hoping a NAS will serve us better.

Again they're not cheap though - we're looking at £100 for the cheapest Buffalo with just 1Tb provided.

Anyone know of good NAS deals out there at the moment?

Any for or against argument to be had on a NAS?

I have a QNAP 410 TS. Loaded with 4 x 1Tb drive giving 2.7Tb when Raid 5.

Works fine as a central file storage and media server. Also does torrent and allows cloud access although not done any of that with it.

QNAP 410 TS
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

You've got to be about 17 or something, cos if you're whining about paying 100 quid for a terrabyte of NAS space, you don't know your born.
      And you shouldnt be contracting.

Anyway, I have a Synology 411+ii, its brilliant, does everything I need and more, runs the cameras round the house, lots of add-in apps, great kit. Costs more than 100 quid though, so won't fit your tight arse budget.
      Last edited by v8gaz; 16 February 2012, 08:50.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        I have a QNAP 410 TS. Loaded with 4 x 1Tb drive giving 2.7Tb when Raid 5.

Works fine as a central file storage and media server. Also does torrent and allows cloud access although not done any of that with it.

QNAP 410 TS
        Thanks Scrag but at £237 it's more than I'd like to spend, and really I wouldn't need most of the functionality (I think...). I just need a LAN connection to the wireless router, and a USB to the PC.

Tell me something though: how's the streaming to your TV, and what software do you use? I ask because I stream from my PC to PS3 but movies judder too much so I end up having to copy the movie to the PS3 instead. My router (BT Home Hub 2) should be capable of streaming internally at decent speeds, so I'm wondering why movies don't stream well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
          You've got to be about 17 or something, cos if you're whining about paying 100 quid for a terrabyte of NAS space, you don't know your born.
          And you shouldnt be contracting.

Anyway, I have a Synology 411+ii, its brilliant, does everything I need and more, runs the cameras round the house, lots of add-in apps, great kit. Costs more than 100 quid though, so won't fit your tight arse budget.
          Thanks Gaz I appreciate you taking 30 seconds out of your day to reply with that show-off rhetoric. I don't need a £500 NAS to 'run the cameras round the house' because I don't live in a crime ridden hole like you clearly do.

Horses for courses. I just need a simple NAS to stream media. Read the spec, fool.

Comment

Thanks Scrag but at £237 it's more than I'd like to spend, and really I wouldn't need most of the functionality (I think...). I just need a LAN connection to the wireless router, and a USB to the PC.

Tell me something though: how's the streaming to your TV, and what software do you use? I ask because I stream from my PC to PS3 but movies judder too much so I end up having to copy the movie to the PS3 instead. My router (BT Home Hub 2) should be capable of streaming internally at decent speeds, so I'm wondering why movies don't stream well enough.
            I put in a wired connection running from the router in my office at the back of the house (connected directly to the NAS), around the outside of the house through the wall to an wireless access point/switch in the lounge and we never get any jerkiness when streaming wired to our PS3.

No additional software needed, the NAS has Twonky Media server by default and the PS3 interogates the network and finds it no problem.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Sorry for but is this cos your streaming over wireless?

Maybe get yourself a couple of ethernet homeplugs. I use them to stream from a PC & NAS in the roof to the TV/PS3 in the lounge no probs. It would suffer if wifi only though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Maybe get yourself a couple of ethernet homeplugs. I use them to stream from a PC & NAS in the roof to the TV/PS3 in the lounge no probs. It would suffer if wifi only though.
                WHS

Streaming over wifi to the PS3 is rubbish. I've ran a cable from the router to the PS3

Also what media server are you using? I've found TVersity to be very good for the PS3
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  WHS

Streaming over wifi to the PS3 is rubbish. I've ran a cable from the router to the PS3

Also what media server are you using? I've found TVersity to be very good for the PS3
                  I'm using PS3 Media Server - it works well for most things but movies can't be streamed (i.e. not viewable). I always thought that (internally) the wireless would be at a decent transfer rate.

I have some home plugs for another system, so I'll look into extending those for the PS3.

Comment

Again for your budget you won't get much, only 1 HDD at most so none of the benefits of redundancy.

I have a ReadyNas Duo, only 2 bay's but with 2x2TB's I am not short of space, like others have said don't stream over WiFi (although I can do it on my MacBook Pro, but not on a WinTel).
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X