• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I just wish the PS3 could handle MKV/AC3 packages.
    Yeah I found this out recently when an 8Gb MKV file ended up at something like 25Gb after transcoding by the PS3!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Yeah I found this out recently when an 8Gb MKV file ended up at something like 25Gb after transcoding by the PS3!
      just demux it on the PC into an mp4 file
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm flogging an Iomaga Storcenter iX2 if you are interested, used to be crap and slow over my network but is not too bad now after a firmware update (a lot slower than a Microserver though). 2 x 1TB raid, media streaming, print server etc. 50 quid posted (or maybe a wee bit more for postage, will have to see as its heavy).

EDITED, actually, looking at the price i'd get for the Storcenter, decided not to sell as the 2 TB disks in it are worth more than that themselves at the moment so will just dismantle it for the drives.

Also flogging an HP Compaq ML115 server with upgraded disks and ram, 70 quid, pickup only.
        Last edited by Durbs; 16 February 2012, 16:54. Reason: Decided t'aint worth flogging it!

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          I'm flogging an Iomaga Storcenter iX2 if you are interested, used to be crap and slow over my network but is not too bad now after a firmware update (a lot slower than a Microserver though). 2 x 1TB raid, media streaming, print server etc. 50 quid posted (or maybe a wee bit more for postage, will have to see as its heavy).

Also flogging an HP Compaq ML115 server with upgraded disks and ram, 70 quid, pickup only.
          I'm tempted, but in this area I'm like a virgin faced with a hooker: I just wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm not an infrastructure kind of guy... so it might be out of my area of competence (plus I'm lazy).

Comment

whatever you get don't get the iomega cloud edition NAS. it's slow, noisy, hot. and often corrupt my music files and doesn't work well with Sonos system either.
            Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

I have the dlink 320 - capable of supporting 2 drives (only got one in atm) and it's in my garage and I use the homeplug with a couple of short ethernet cables to rig it up.... works fine

All in (homeplugs and all) a tad over 100 + vat
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

+1 for the Microserver, got mine with the cashback deal - working great, speedy and silent. Installed CentOS on it and no looking back. Then reflashed my old QNAP with Debian, stuck it in the loft with a homeplug, and set a rsync of my data running between the two.
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  I have a QNAP 410 TS. Loaded with 4 x 1Tb drive giving 2.7Tb when Raid 5.

Works fine as a central file storage and media server. Also does torrent and allows cloud access although not done any of that with it.

QNAP 410 TS
                  WHS (apart from 4x2TB drives).

Need to consider a new one soon, though, as I've only got 350GB free.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The D-Link DNS-343 4 bay NAS for £119.98 @ Dabs looks an interesting comparably priced alternative to the HP Microserver for those wanting something a bit more plug and play.

D-Link 4-Bay SATA NAS Storage (DNS-343) - dabs.com
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      WHS (apart from 4x2TB drives).

Need to consider a new one soon, though, as I've only got 350GB free.
                      Ever heard of housekeeping?

Bet there is something to delete or compress in that 5Tb of data.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X