• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: NAS drive

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NAS drive"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Ever heard of housekeeping?

Bet there is something to delete or compress in that 5Tb of data.
    Found that my new backup was backing up into a subfolder of the old backup.

Now have 1.2TB free - but I'm about to share 100GB with Symform to see how their cloud service looks.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    WHS (apart from 4x2TB drives).

Need to consider a new one soon, though, as I've only got 350GB free.
    Ever heard of housekeeping?

Bet there is something to delete or compress in that 5Tb of data.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    The D-Link DNS-343 4 bay NAS for £119.98 @ Dabs looks an interesting comparably priced alternative to the HP Microserver for those wanting something a bit more plug and play.

D-Link 4-Bay SATA NAS Storage (DNS-343) - dabs.com

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I have a QNAP 410 TS. Loaded with 4 x 1Tb drive giving 2.7Tb when Raid 5.

Works fine as a central file storage and media server. Also does torrent and allows cloud access although not done any of that with it.

QNAP 410 TS
    WHS (apart from 4x2TB drives).

Need to consider a new one soon, though, as I've only got 350GB free.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    +1 for the Microserver, got mine with the cashback deal - working great, speedy and silent. Installed CentOS on it and no looking back. Then reflashed my old QNAP with Debian, stuck it in the loft with a homeplug, and set a rsync of my data running between the two.

Leave a comment:

• TraceRacing
    replied
    I have the dlink 320 - capable of supporting 2 drives (only got one in atm) and it's in my garage and I use the homeplug with a couple of short ethernet cables to rig it up.... works fine

All in (homeplugs and all) a tad over 100 + vat

Leave a comment:

• Friday Blue
    replied
    whatever you get don't get the iomega cloud edition NAS. it's slow, noisy, hot. and often corrupt my music files and doesn't work well with Sonos system either.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I'm flogging an Iomaga Storcenter iX2 if you are interested, used to be crap and slow over my network but is not too bad now after a firmware update (a lot slower than a Microserver though). 2 x 1TB raid, media streaming, print server etc. 50 quid posted (or maybe a wee bit more for postage, will have to see as its heavy).

Also flogging an HP Compaq ML115 server with upgraded disks and ram, 70 quid, pickup only.
    I'm tempted, but in this area I'm like a virgin faced with a hooker: I just wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm not an infrastructure kind of guy... so it might be out of my area of competence (plus I'm lazy).

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    I'm flogging an Iomaga Storcenter iX2 if you are interested, used to be crap and slow over my network but is not too bad now after a firmware update (a lot slower than a Microserver though). 2 x 1TB raid, media streaming, print server etc. 50 quid posted (or maybe a wee bit more for postage, will have to see as its heavy).

EDITED, actually, looking at the price i'd get for the Storcenter, decided not to sell as the 2 TB disks in it are worth more than that themselves at the moment so will just dismantle it for the drives.

Also flogging an HP Compaq ML115 server with upgraded disks and ram, 70 quid, pickup only.
    Last edited by Durbs; 16 February 2012, 16:54. Reason: Decided t'aint worth flogging it!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Yeah I found this out recently when an 8Gb MKV file ended up at something like 25Gb after transcoding by the PS3!
    just demux it on the PC into an mp4 file

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I just wish the PS3 could handle MKV/AC3 packages.
    Yeah I found this out recently when an 8Gb MKV file ended up at something like 25Gb after transcoding by the PS3!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Some interesting ideas out there. I like Durbs set-up and the flexibility it offers, but it'll be too much for what I need right now. I just want something low maintenance, low power consumption (always on) and basically for streaming media and perhaps some general backup.

I like the AC Ryan Mini that PAH has, so I'll look into that a little more. I already have an external USB drive I could use for this.

Otherwise there's this NAS: Zyxel 500GB (1 x 500GB) NSA310 1-Bay Network Attached Storage (91-016-007011B) - BT Shop

which is an entry level NAS drive supplied with 500Gb disk for only £67. Frankly 500Gb is plenty for me for now, and it can be replaced with up to 3TB when needed. What do you think of this one?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I've got a Tranquil PC SQA-5H running WHS with 10Tb fitted. Not the cheapest but it really is fit and forget. Have had it two years without a single issue. It supports three PCs, a couple of laptops, two Squeezeboxes and a WD Media Streamer. Only downside is 2Gb main memory but I don't think it affects the performance that much. Next time I will replace the chassis with the latest one (I'm only a version behind at the moment) and keep the disks.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I assume you put in 2 x new 4gig sticks?

If you've still got the original 2GB ECC stick the N40 ships with, would you sell it to me?

Yep 2 x 4gb Kingston non-ECC ram for £25 + vat (reclaimed).

Thinking of banging the old 2gb stick in my N36L, bringing it to 3gb total so I can install Windows Home Server 2011 on it (has a minimum ram requirement of 2gb), but not got round to that yet. That's assuming it works in the older server.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I just wish the PS3 could handle MKV/AC3 packages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X