• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Macbook Pro?

What do the congregation think? I'm contemplating the one Bunk mentioned, the one just released.

Specifically one of the 15" models mentioned with 2GHz to 2.3GHz quad-core i7. Not interested in the 17" - too big. Thinking of upgrading the RAM to its max 8GB myself and getting the non-reflective screen.

So that's between ~£1,800 and ~£2,130 for the full works ex RAM. I can probably wing a 10% discount.

I know it's quite a lot to spend, but I have a sneaky suspicion I won't regret it. I have NO INTENTION of suffering the pain of Windoze on a personal machine, so it's this or a superfast Linux box of some kind.

What's your view?
    Buy the shiny Mac, you're right, you won't regret it.
    80.00%
    Nooooo! Don't do it! I have a better suggestion for you (please explain).
    3.33%
    AndyW works at PC World, ask him.
    16.67%

I let you know when it arrives next week, ordered one today, went for the 15" with extra RAM, briefly considered the SSD but thought an extra 800 was a bit steep for the privilege.

I like OSX, it's BSD Unix under the hood, with a nice desktop.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

The light peak / thunderbolt interface sounds very cool and doesn't seem to be mentioned in the press releases for the next Lenovo thinkpads or HP EliteBooks, so that might actually swing it for me. The 8GB RAM limit is a bit of a let down though.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well it will last some time (barring problems) and if you're really keen to avoid Windows (nowt wrong with W7 but your loss) it seems like a lovely bit of kit.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Well it will last some time (barring problems) and if you're really keen to avoid Windows (nowt wrong with W7 but your loss) it seems like a lovely bit of kit.
          Macs can run Windows either natively or through virtualisation, so there's no loss involved. (Windows 7 still sucks donkey knobs compared to OS X though.)

Comment

I'd go for SSD as well, just to spend that it bit extra!
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Macs can run Windows either natively or through virtualisation, so there's no loss involved. (Windows 7 still sucks donkey knobs compared to OS X though.)

I ordered a copy of Parallels with it, so will have a VM with all MS Office, Visio etc. Also lets me run up a few Linux VM's to test out bits for my work (Linux Architect). Best of all worlds really.

Another thing about the Mac SSD's they are supposed to be a a bit tulip as SSD's go, so going to look at an aftermarket upgrade.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

This is the spec I'm looking at:

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
                8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
                500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
                MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

Comes to £2,128.99 inc VAT. Obviously on the flat rate scheme you can claim back the VAT so it comes to £1,774.16.
                Last edited by Bunk; 25 February 2011, 22:39.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  What do the congregation think? I'm contemplating the one Bunk mentioned, the one just released.

Specifically one of the 15" models mentioned with 2GHz to 2.3GHz quad-core i7. Not interested in the 17" - too big. Thinking of upgrading the RAM to its max 8GB myself and getting the non-reflective screen.

So that's between ~£1,800 and ~£2,130 for the full works ex RAM. I can probably wing a 10% discount.

I know it's quite a lot to spend, but I have a sneaky suspicion I won't regret it. I have NO INTENTION of suffering the pain of Windoze on a personal machine, so it's this or a superfast Linux box of some kind.

What's your view?
                  I still have no idea what you lot do to your windows installations to make them such focal points of hate.

Anyway - For the price it actually seems pretty reasonable BUT does that include Apples on site support cover or any Accident and Theft cover for anything more than 12 months?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I still have no idea what you lot do to your windows installations to make them such focal points of hate.
                    I have to work with windows on a daily basis, I don't find it hard work, but I don't find it particularly helpful either.

The usability of osx is far superior (IMO, which is the only one that counts to me).
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X