• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Macbook Pro?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Macbook Pro?"

Collapse

• ~Craig~
    replied
    thanks. I've found an Apple reseller (jigsaw24) that offers decent pricing so I may go with them.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    What's the best way of getting a decent Discount on a MBP and still be able to put it through the Co.

Also does anyone know if the £2k VAT flat-rate threshold is for a single invoice or single item? just wondering if I could stick some accessories on there at the same time.
    The only discount you will get is by claiming it as an educational purchase, paying for it yourself and claiming back on expenses. Apple are fairly tight on checking educational purchases though. You can't order online from their education store unless you are on an ac.uk domain for example.

The £2000 VAT limit is per invoice, so yes, you can get the MacBook and accessories on the same order to bump it over the 2k mark.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    What's the best way of getting a decent Discount on a MBP and still be able to put it through the Co.

Also does anyone know if the £2k VAT flat-rate threshold is for a single invoice or single item? just wondering if I could stick some accessories on there at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post

Had GNU/Linux on the desktop since about 2000 and it seriously better than WidoZZzzzz.
    Great argument.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I bought an hp envy 15 when the first i7 cores came out. I had nothing but issues with it, returning to hp a number of times. I finally gave up and bought a full spec 2.8 mac book two weeks before apple released the new one. When they sent me an email to see how I liked the toy, I pointed out that it would have been nice if they warned me about the new one. Long story short, they replaced it with the new MBP then credited me with a few hundred pounds on a gift card because the new 4gb memory dimm was cheaper than the old stuff.

Try getting HP or Dell to take back your laptop under the same situation...

Just for the record I would have been more than happy to keep the first one. It was blistering fast.
    They've always done that. You get about 3-4 weeks to return something, and then you can buy the latest thing. It's not well publicised though.

Got my 15" a couple of weeks ago - it absolutely flies!

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    256GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    A nice little story...

I bought an hp envy 15 when the first i7 cores came out. I had nothing but issues with it, returning to hp a number of times. I finally gave up and bought a full spec 2.8 mac book two weeks before apple released the new one. When they sent me an email to see how I liked the toy, I pointed out that it would have been nice if they warned me about the new one. Long story short, they replaced it with the new MBP then credited me with a few hundred pounds on a gift card because the new 4gb memory dimm was cheaper than the old stuff.

Try getting HP or Dell to take back your laptop under the same situation...

Just for the record I would have been more than happy to keep the first one. It was blistering fast.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Just to brag a little, my wife's older laptop got broken, so she inherited my old Macbook and now I am a proud owner of a 2011 13" Macbook Pro. Like I recommended to others I have upgrade to an aftermarket SSD and RAM. I don't need more so I went' with 8GB but amazingly you can now cram 16GB of RAM into the tiny 13". I also went with 2.7GHz i7 as that's non upgradeable in the future but some may want to shave the tiny difference and get the i5. My SSD of choice was Vertex 3, but if I was buying now I'd probably go with OWC, based on the same Sandforce chipset but more reputable brand. In any case they're both almost identical and will get you almost 500MB/s read speeds which is just loco.
    I run a certain Java app everyday which is is very happy with the extra RAM and disk read speed. Because I run a rather large datasets as an input, I am easily saving 15 minutes almost everyday (the data doesn't change that often).
    In any case, I recommend this to almost everyone - with the right option/discounts you can get the laptop for under £1k and it's just a demon of speed in a tiny package.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Mine arrived 8am this morning but I've had to do garden related activities all day.

Just started playing now and thus far very impressed.

I'm in the process of putting Windows 7 on VM Fusion. May do the Bootcamp thing once I get a larger hard drive installed later on this year.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Mine arrived 8am this morning but I've had to do garden related activities all day.

Just started playing now and thus far very impressed.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I can be subjective too... it IS crap.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    For a typical user, Windows is NOT BETTER than Linux.

Had GNU/Linux on the desktop since about 2000 and it seriously better than WidoZZzzzz.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Its so shiney and loverly )

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Ordered (albeit with only a 10% discount) delivery tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I may get to bloody order my MBP soon, managed to find one instock that I can use my 15% dicount on ring the office to try and get the finance guy to put the order through and he's having a long pub lunch and now its Out Of Stock (

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Does that include removing the optical drive?
    You mean like with one of those OptiBay things? Dont know, but they look pretty good, was checking those out this morning.

Edited - Googling around suggests whilst HDD and memory are ok, some people say Optibay would void warranty, some dont so i'd clear it with Apple first.
    Last edited by Durbs; 5 April 2011, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    No, replacing memory or disk yourself does not void the Applecare warranty. Read that recently in Mac Format mag FAQ's.
    Does that include removing the optical drive?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X