• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Where did you see the £100 SSD's?

I only saw the one that was £900!
    You can get a small one cheap but they're aimed at having a small SSD and a big HDD. A single SSD big enough to be your only drive is not going to come cheap. Though if I was spending £2k on a laptop I'd get one... drop the spec in other areas if I had to.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A few clarifications - the latest gen does support SATA 6Gbit (aka SATA3) on the HDD port (not the DVD-port), so it might be worthwhile.
      I personally went with 60GB Corsair Force which was on offer for £90 and then I have the 320GB HDD for everything else. You're simply never accessing all your data all at at once, so put the OS and frequently used apps, browser cache, documents on the SSD, everything else on the HDD.

Most reasonable places (scan, ocuk, ebuyer etc) have it at that price: Scan.co.uk

Having said that, if I had the very latest 2011 MBP, I would still wait until ca April for the newest Intel SSD on the new Sandforce-based Vertex 3, it should offer almost twice the raw throughput.

the other component is mcetech.com/optibay

To replace your DVD with the HDD and put your DVD in a nice external enclosure (connected as needed via USB).

even if you will have someone do the replacement for you it should be way cheaper than Apple offerings and you will get a better, faster SSD than the ones on Apple's website.

As far as I know, Apple is still sticking with Toshiba SSD which are much slower then Sandforce based ones (Ocz Vertex 2, Corsair Force, OWC Mercury Pro, Crucial RealSSD etc).

Comment

Great advice - thanks xchaotic. I'll have a look at the Vertex 3 when it ships.

Comment

Pah Macbooks

I'm a self confessed HP fan boy. Currently looking at a 8740w with a dreamcolour display which is a hefty £2800 ex vat!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Pah Macbooks

I'm a self confessed HP fan boy. Currently looking at a 8740w with a dreamcolour display which is a hefty £2800 ex vat!
            Starting at 7.8 lb (3.57 kg)

You'll be needing your HGV license just to move it about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Starting at 7.8 lb (3.57 kg)

You'll be needing your HGV license just to move it about.
              Someone was telling me about an 8 core jobbie.

Huge power brick to lug about as well.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Aye, I'll probably stump for the £1800 ex vat non dream colour display as there have been reports of problems with the DC2 screens.

It is a large laptop, but I live in spread sheets so a 17" screen is nice. I looked at a 15.6" screen but the physical size of the laptop was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Great advice - thanks xchaotic. I'll have a look at the Vertex 3 when it ships.
                  Thanks.

Having researched the subject further, I have found that Crucial RealSSD does in fact use Marvell controller which is also used in Intel new SSD. The difference is that Crucial is ca 300MB read, intel is more 500MB/s.

In comparison Vertex 3, at least on paper is up to 550MB/s read and 500MB/s write transfer rates and up to 60,000 IOPS (4k random write), so theoretically the best.

In the past, Intel was the best in practice - the most reliable firmware and real-world experience, this might all change now.

In any case, this destroys my plans completely - I was hoping to get a previous-gen refurbished MBP on the cheap, but now I really want the new one not to be bottlenecked by 280MB/s SATA2 speeds...

Comment

xchaotic - you are hereby awarded 5 Xeno Geek Points.

Comment

Vertex 2 (not 3 - that one should be totally awesome) is better than Crucial C300...

Comment

Working...
                      X