• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to improve PC's performance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Somehow, I just knew that would be your suggestion

Q: My wife of 12 years has left me, and taken the kids - I feel suicidal and have taken to the bottle.

A: Get a Mac! Love, Scooterscot.
    As a Window's user of many years I only every wanted a computer I could use and not to be constantly tinkering with.

That's when I realised Windows is for people who like pulling things apart and exploring new possibilities with different hardware configurations, then, stress when it does not work.

OS X is for people who enjoy working.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Download a utility called c-cleaner. Its freeware, will clean up registry, temp files etc, and DOESNT break the system.
      It was recommended to me by another contractor, who said he had never seen it break a system (more than you can say for some of the paid ones). Having run it here, and at work places, I can agree

Comment

WHS ccleaner & defraggler.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was away on a trip and had to use the computer in the lobby to access the internet. It was an Intel Atom processor dual core running Vista, just browsing is sloooowwwwww. Then tried to use facebook, it ground almost to a halt! Even my 5 year old family PC does better than that with IE8!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            I was away on a trip and had to use the computer in the lobby to access the internet. It was an Intel Atom processor dual core running Vista, just browsing is sloooowwwwww. Then tried to use facebook, it ground almost to a halt! Even my 5 year old family PC does better than that with IE8!
            Intel Atom is designed for wee notebooks working with Linux, XP at the most, surfing and doing the odd office bit.

It's cheap and cheerful (and a bit easier on battery life) - nothing else...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My concern is finding the drivers after I've reinstalled.

Is there a safe driver scanner out there that I can use once I've reinstalled XP?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                As a Window's user of many years I only every wanted a computer I could use and not to be constantly tinkering with.

That's when I realised Windows is for people who like pulling things apart and exploring new possibilities with different hardware configurations, then, stress when it does not work.

OS X is for people who enjoy working.
                I agree with that analysis - so I use Windows and Linux

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Intel Atom is designed for wee notebooks working with Linux, XP at the most, surfing and doing the odd office bit.

It's cheap and cheerful (and a bit easier on battery life) - nothing else...
                  Well some idiot has built a desktop server around it and installed Vista - maybe they were trying to discourage people from using it!

Actually in the end what I did was pulled the ethernet cable out and plugged it into my laptop - much better and cheaper than 8 Euros for 1 hours wireless access time.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                  X