• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to improve PC's performance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys

Mostly brilliant suggestions, looks like I'll have a busy weekend ahead of me.

Shame to see there are still one or two bad "apples" out there though.

Even if it was p1ssed, I wouldn't wear a Mac
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

If you're running a PC that old, you might gain a big boost from a HDD upgrade.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Fire up MSConfig (just type it into start, run), and get rid of anything you don't need in the start up tab. Lots of programs like to install unnecessary crap in your system tray, and that all hurts performance. My Vista laptop is running much better since I did this.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          If you're running a PC that old, you might gain a big boost from a HDD upgrade.
          This is the Family PC, I've a lightening fast laptop for my work, I just want to get the performance back to where it was 6 months or so ago, but thanks anyway!
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
            This is the Family PC, I've a lightening fast laptop for my work, I just want to get the performance back to where it was 6 months or so ago, but thanks anyway!
            Odds are that the drive is fragmented to hell and there are so many bits of junk installed that the easiest move is a format and reinstall.

For machines that the kids are using it's a worthwhile tactic to use periodically.

Comment

I had a similar problem, family PC.

Got rid of the junk, defragged, still seemed a bit sluggish.

The IE8 came, now it really drags.

Its got a single core CPU which I think is the problem, the task manager performance shows IE8 sucking up a lot of CPU. Memory is only 1G so I suppose it could do with more - when I bought the PC it all ran fine on 0.5G!

I don't think the motherboard supports a dual core, well it does but only expensive ones no longer in production. I will have to research how to change the motherboard as I don't fancy paying for another PC and buying all the peripherals again (already got DVD rewritable, TV in decoder, media card sockets, large HDD, firewire), alternatively will convert it into a file server for all the other laptops in the house.

Good luck with yours anyway!
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Odds are that the drive is fragmented to hell and there are so many bits of junk installed that the easiest move is a format and reinstall.

For machines that the kids are using it's a worthwhile tactic to use periodically.
                WHS - Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. You'll probably give it a little more life with a defrag and some general maintenance, but it's sometimes just as easy (and the results generally better) to back everything up, wipe everything off there, and start all over again.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

if your going to buy and swap your hard disks, always go for the fastest hard disk speed you can afford.. the reason being, with modern speeds of processors/RAM etc, the hard disk read/write speed is usually the bottle neck where data is processed the slowest..
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Fire up MSConfig (just type it into start, run), and get rid of anything you don't need in the start up tab. Lots of programs like to install unnecessary crap in your system tray, and that all hurts performance. My Vista laptop is running much better since I did this.
                    If you`re going to mess around with the startup list I find Spybot much easier to use than MSCONFIG. If you decide to change the HDD, and you currently have a PATA drive, you`re going to have to splash out for a SATA adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Install OS x...
                      Somehow, I just knew that would be your suggestion

Q: My wife of 12 years has left me, and taken the kids - I feel suicidal and have taken to the bottle.

A: Get a Mac! Love, Scooterscot.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X