• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to improve PC's performance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to improve PC's performance?

Remember, I can use a PC but I'm not a technical genius like you guys.

What's the best method to speed up my PC, it's recently got clogged up with the last couple of years downloads, etc?

Is there a software that came with the PC or something that I can load that'll increase its performance?
    'elf and safety guru

Originally posted by thelace View Post

What's the best method to speed up my PC, it's recently got clogged up with the last couple of years downloads, etc?

Is there a software that came with the PC or something that I can load that'll increase its performance?
    Assuming you are running some flavour of Microsoft windows, there's a few simple things - others will be along later no doubt, but for now:
    -Uninstall any programs you don't use.
    - Defrag the hard drive - My Computer > drive letter> properties > tools
    - Delete old files - My Computer > Drive letter > properties > general > disk cleanup button

Comment

If the machine is running 32 bit windows, fit 4Gb ram if it hasn't already got it and the motherboard supports it.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post

Assuming that all your downloads are from 100% legit sites , it won't be worth your while running good anti-spyware to check for any nasties.

Comment

I run my anti spywhere regularly, I have kids that have no idea where they keep picking virii (is that the plural??? ) up from

"nearly all" of my downloads are legit I slap them all through the spyware checkers too.

Currently running Win XP on a HP with a 2 gig sempron but only 1 gig of RAM. Never really needed much in the past, but I'll get some more anyhow.

Will try the disc cleanup stuff too

Many thanks guys
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Assuming you are running some flavour of Microsoft windows, there's a few simple things - others will be along later no doubt, but for now:
            -Uninstall any programs you don't use.
            - Defrag the hard drive - My Computer > drive letter> properties > tools
            - Delete old files - My Computer > Drive letter > properties > general > disk cleanup button
            I'd suggest you do the defrag after cleaning up old apps and files, if you can face doing it at all.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Already starting to archive some stuff off the old beast.

Don't want to accidentally lose bits, even I'm not that daft
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

Leave the defrag running overnight.

Comment

Use an online memory checker to check your memory upgrade options.
                  http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/dram...FYGT3wodn0X7rw

Comment

Install OS x...
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X