• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One way glass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One way glass

I know most people here have large expansive mannor houses with private security and scores of household staff to do their bidding but
    This members lives in a flat (it suits, usual health blurb etc etc)
    Anyway I have been looking at one way glass film to enhance security and keep the local nosey people at bay.
    Does any one know what to look for or what to avoid with this stuff please?
    Flat is already quite high security. Internal camera's etc
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Just get some of the window tint stuff. It's cheap enough and you can have a go yourself. Sharp stanley knife and a squeegie or something to put it on. Some of it even works on static so doesn't need wetting to apply.

I would say avoid the self adhesive stuff though. I've just put up, well tried, some frosting at the base of our door window so the dog can't see out and bark at everything. The adhesive stuff was an utter nightmare and I gave up. I'll be looking for something more like car wrap where I can wet the window and slide it on if it exists.

But anyway, you can get the film pretty cheap so worth a go yourself if you feel up to it.

NOTE : Remember one way glass/film will still become see through at night if you have light on in the room.

Something like this maybe..
    https://windowfilmworld.com/products...16850309185651
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 April 2024, 20:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just noticed you can install the frosted adhesive tints using water. Didn't mention that on the instructions I got so going to be having a word with them. Might get another one free to try again.. Result.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

northernladuk

Thank you my friend
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

It's probably quite expensive but I do like the "smart" glass that you can make clear or opaque at the press of a button.

https://intelligentglass.net/market-...s/residential/
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Net curtains?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Net curtains?
              I dont want my place to look like Nora Batty's gaff!
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

As we've double height south facing windows I've installed window film from Active Windows both the museum grade anti UV clear for the hallway and the silver tint mirror finish in the bedrooms for privacy. Windows need to be squeaky clean and carefully apply and squeegee out any bubbles although they tend to disappear over time if you can't get them all out. Works very well if you follow the instructions. Had it on for a couple of years now and you wouldn't know it was there

Comment

Another duplicate, it takes ages, fails then puts two copies in!

Comment

Working...
                  X