• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edible dog chews (long lasting)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edible dog chews (long lasting)

(I would have posted this in General but didn't think I would get any sensible responses.)

We've got a 1 year-old Lab who is a really powerful chewer. We've got Nylabones which keep her occupied a bit but we're looking for edible chews that last half an hour or so.

We used to give our previous dog rawhide chews but I've read some negative things about them. Apparently they can cause digestive problems especially with dogs that wolf them down.

So far, we've tried:
    Dried Venison skin strips - lasts 10 mins if we're lucky
    Dried cows' ears - barely lasts a couple of mins

With really hard chews like Antler or Horn, I've read that there's a risk of broken teeth.

I've heard that Bull pizzles are supposed to be quite long lasting.

Any suggestions of other things to try?
    Thanks

I'd agree with avoiding rawhide and horns.

Perhaps try things like a Kong Wobbler ( https://www.kongcompany.com/catalogue/PW1/ ) - where they have to work to get the food out. We would put a handful of kibble into it and it provides a bit of entertainment.

The other thing to be aware of is that you've got a Lab. Just about 250,000 years ago, one day a Lab owner forgot the time and was late one minute putting out the dog's dinner. The story is passed down from one lab to another, and they now will wolf down anything, just in case it ever happens again.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Our staffie can destroy a tennis ball in two minutes flat, and most other dog toys in very little time. The only things that last more than a day are Kong toys in their various forms, which are pretty much indestructible, or some hard nylon chews that eventually have to be thrown because they have developed sharp edges.

Dogs chew out of boredom as much as anything, so as WTFH says, the toys that make them hunt for treats are the best bet.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We're both retired, and she gets 2 long walks a day, and doesn't get left on her own for any length of time to really get bored. Our previous dog, also a Lab, had really good teeth and that may have been partly down to us giving him chews a few times a week. Anyway, it's something we think is worth continuing with her.

I've ordered a couple of pizzles to see if they last any longer. I think I'll gloss over what they are to the missus.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post
          I've ordered a couple of pizzles to see if they last any longer.
          Tested two over the weekend. One lasted 40 minutes, the other 25 minutes. Result.

I may also try cow tails, which are supposed to be similar but are quite a bit cheaper.

Comment

Good result - one other thing you could try is Yak chews. They are hard and last a long time, you can also microwave them. Might be worth a try.

Comment

Yak chews all day long for our pup although they still only last a day with focussed effort but she loves them.

Avoid hide at all costs. Horrible stuff.
              I'd personally avoid nylabones as well. They get sharp after awhile and it's still plastic at the end of the day so if they are eating it then I'm not liking it.

Also try the Earth Animal no no hide rolls. Ours loves them but she can demolish them. Great to get her to calm for a bit or when we are out eating but if you give her one it will be gone in a few hours or less.
              https://earthanimal.com/shop/?chew-treat[]=93

Pets at home do a similar one. In with the smartbones in an individual packet but forget what it's called.

Ours loves some antlers. Has to have something to hold in her paws so it's hit and miss. A straight single antler just doesn't work. I do grind it down from time to time when she starts chewing it to a sharp edge but I don't have any problems giving them to her.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There was a chap on here a while back who had a dog treats sideline business.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

We gave our dog glow in the dark treats. You should have seen her face light up...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One thing you can try if they are eating their meals very fast is to get a ribbed bowl (or go-slo bowl as they are sometimes called). It means the dog can't just wolf stuff down, but has to lick and eat in smaller pieces. Works for Mad Max.
                    I'd recommend: https://www.chow-bella.co.uk
                    British made to order, they do ear-free ones for spaniels which is where I first heard of them.
                    Not a cheap bowl, but then we're contractors and dogs are important to us.

Comment

Working...
                    X