• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Printer recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer recommendations

My ancient but, up until today, trusty Xerox ColorQube has died.

Aware that things have moved on a bit since I bought it, can the learned fellowship recommend something with the following specs:
    • Good quality printing
    • No gauging on ink prices
    • Multifunction preferred
      • Sheet feeder for scanning would be ace
    • Colour
    • Auto duplex
    • A4 with ability to add in labels, envelopes, photo paper
    • Currently Ethernet connected but happy to go WiFi
    Anything else I need to consider?

I don't know what a printer is worth these days so am still working out what I'm willing to spend.

I have a good Cannon Pixma, its a few years old now. Think I bought it just before Lockdown.
    I had Epsons before that but at £60 a hit of ink it was getting silly.
    I now buy my inks from a generic supplier off amazon and it works quite well.
    Thibk I have only spent £60 on ink since i bought it (3 refils)! Granted I don't use it massively but its there when I need it.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

I have had a Canon Pixima ip7250 for a number of years. The print quality is good and it's certainly lasted well with my limited use... but, and here's the thing, my limited use has shown that I use more ink during start-up and shut-down "cleaning" than I've ever used to actually print anything.

I am tempted to never buy a printer ever again due to the running costs of this wastage.

It's been handy at times, but the running costs over its lifetime have been horrendous.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I had many years of faithful service from my Canon Pixma MP620 until recently when it gave up the ghost for good.

After much researching for similar requirements to yours I ended up with an Epson XP-6105.

Great I thought, wifi capability at last so I can tuck it away somewhere. Nope, not really; unlike the Canon - which used to open it's print tray automatically when it received a print job - you have to do it manually on the Epson, so you either have to leave the output tray sticking out all the time or go and open it up when you want to print

That plus a tendency for something wifi-related to completely crash my router (and it didn't happen until I got the Epson) means I can't really recommend it

Comment

And to go to the other extreme, we use a full fat Brother MFC-6300CDW colour laser/copier for around £380. There are cheaper and later variants omitting faxes (what are they!) and photocopying options, but with proper network options for both wireless and wired connections.

I've used Brother kit at several clients, all have been reliable For our use, laser is costing about the same as inkjet over the last few years, but obviously that depends on what you want it to do.

IME Canon are pretty good, HP are to be avoided!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks all!

My Mum has a Brother printer, just a basic model. For some reason the scan controls on the device always say there is no PC attached so you always have to trigger a scan from the software. Also means the copy function doesn't work which is a shame. Maybe something aimed at the SME market would be better.

Always been suspicious of Epsons; maybe I'll also take a look at Canon too.

Comment

I've had an HP Colour LaserJet Pro for 7 years. It's solidly built and works fine, showing no sign of age. If it were to die, I'd probably get something similar in the £380 range. Yes, toner cartridges are not cheap but neither is ink, and ink printers have always been problematic.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Laser..... Toners are pricey but they don't dry out and you get 50k pages from a new set.

I had a Brother before that was pretty good. It died (ethernet port went bang) and the best value replacement I found was a Xerox.
                This looks OK Brother HL-L3210CW A4 Colour Laser Printer with Wireless Printing | Viking Direct UK (viking-direct.co.uk)

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Go with the Epson ET 2650 range. Ink tank printer.

Comment

Brother laser printer all day. Built like a tank IME.

Comment

Working...
                    X