• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Printer recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Brother laser printer all day. Built like a tank IME.
    Likewise Canon but I think the recent ones have OEM toner checks so double check before buying as a lot of printer firms aren't forthcoming...

When I was looking I found checking if compatible cartridges can be found on ebay - if you can't that should tell you that the printer is going to be expensive to run.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Likewise Canon but I think the recent ones have OEM toner checks so double check before buying as a lot of printer firms aren't forthcoming...

When I was looking I found checking if compatible cartridges can be found on ebay - if you can't that should tell you that the printer is going to be expensive to run.
      We tried non-OEM cartridges in ours, Print quality was nowhere near as good, didn't last as long so all in all the cost savings were actually fairly minimal.

Better than HP though - tried a non-OEM refill on an Inkjet once, it never worked again...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think I might go for this:
        https://www.printerland.co.uk/produc...DCPL3510CDWZU1

Comment

GF has my old printer (which was a similar Brother model to that) and I have the larger model which has an auto feeder on top.

Solid printers and cheap to run. Always recommend them these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Looks nice. You really can't go wrong with Brother, they're well made.

Comment

I changed my mind and went for this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/ep...-10229250.html

There was a £20 off voucher plus 6% discount with IPSE PerkBox.

The print costs for the Brother was much higher per sheet and the cost of the cartridges was almost as much as the printer itself.

Comment

Until recently I had a Brother multi function device which was built really well and had lots of features including A3 printing. But it became quite unreliable over time especially the wireless connection. I replaced it recently with a very well reviewed Canon inktank printer. I can't say I'm that impressed with it so far, seems to take an age to print anything. Maybe I just need to mess around with the settings and drivers a bit.

In my early days of using PCs I used to like Epson, Canon and HP printers. Overall though, printers seem to be quite an unloved tech category these days judging by the large number of negative printer reviews on Amazon.

Comment

I've got an Epson 9890, but it's maybe a bit bigger than what you're looking for.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    I've got an Epson 9890, but it's maybe a bit bigger than what you're looking for.
                    Bet that's your usual line on a night out as well.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Set up of the Epson was quite straightforward. Interestingly Windoze (10) automagically detected the printer and added it to the devices menu yet didn't think to install proper drivers so a load of crap got printed (but a test page came out perfect). So I had to uninstall that and then reinstall it properly.

Print times are pretty quick but the print quality is nowhere near as good as my old Xerox. All the colours seem washed out and far less vivid. I guess that's what I would have been paying for had I gone for the Brother laser.

The Epson software seems to be utter tripe. I downloaded the latest version off their website and then when trying to install it, it detected the printer but came up with a message saying that the printer was too new new for the software so I ought to install the latest software. Er... So I dug out my USB DVD drive and installed the very same software from the accompanying CD and that worked.

I only wanted to enable the functionality to scan to my PC...

Comment

Working...
                      X