• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apps/sites won't work on my home Wifi but will on other devices/networks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apps/sites won't work on my home Wifi but will on other devices/networks

Very usual problem this but thought to post here in case anyone has experienced similar.

On my home Wifi (Sky Fibre), my Samsung phone is unable to open certain apps/sites, like Nest, Amazon Shopping, DealPad etc. The apps just hang, trying to connect to their server.

I have to switch off my phone's Wifi and use 4g, which then opens the apps just fine.

These apps/sites work absolutely fine on everyone else's devices on my home Wifi and on my hardwired PC at home. My family has android and apple devices and all work without issue.

On my phone, I can open these apps without any problems when away from home on any other Wifi/internet provider.

I have attempted the usual reboots of phone/routers and even assign static IPs, checking the router config etc, but I have not been able to get these apps/sites to connect over my Wifi. Nothing in my router config has specific rules, not least for my phone or these apps/sites.

It is truly confounding me.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?

Last edited by ChimpMaster; 23 December 2022, 20:03.

1) have these apps ever worked, on your phone, through the Sky wifi?
    2) does it just affect apps? no problems connecting to any websites through a browser?
    3) what happens if you open one of these apps with 4g, and then switch the phone back to wifi? Does the app stop working?

If you have access to another phone, with the same OS, which does work through the wifi, then I'd compare the phones, specifically:
    a) start with the network settings; any minor protocol differences?
    b) bit of a longshot but then check the OS; same revision, updates?
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 24 December 2022, 10:56.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Just tested with a VPN on my phone, and the apps all work fine. The VPN just connected me to a UK server so simply changed my i.p. which makes me think there's a problem with the Sky outward facing i.p. connected to my phone.

The same Sky i.p. doesn't impact other devices (including same Android phone versions) in my house. This is the odd thing. The problem is only with my phone!

I have reset the Network on my phone - I had to set up all connections from scratch again - but that didn't help.

1) have these apps ever worked, on your phone, through the Sky wifi? Some months ago, yes. Can't imagine what's changed though.
      2) does it just affect apps? no problems connecting to any websites through a browser? So far this is what it looks like.
      3) what happens if you open one of these apps with 4g, and then switch the phone back to wifi? Does the app stop working? Stops working.

Comment

The VPN is doing more than just changing the IP address. It's encrypting and, more to the point, encapsulating the traffic. The router, and the entire Sky network for that matter, are no longer seeing the actual comms between app and server.

If it was the Sky IP address that was the problem then, like you, I'd expect it to affect other devices. I'd also be surprised if it affected multiple apps connecting to entirely different servers.

The following probably won't reveal anything but it's worth a shot.

Assuming the app server is app.acme.com, try this with 4g and wifi
        1) ping app.acme.com
        2) enter app.acme.com as a URL in a browser
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 25 December 2022, 11:06.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Since
          - other devices can access the sites
          - connections work when using VPN
          - your phone can connect to the sites when not on home WiFi

this sounds to me like a device specific filter.

Suggestions, some of which you've probably tried ...

-> Review router for any device profile setup for the Samsung phone including for its WiFi MAC address

-> Review whether Sky Broadband Buddy is configured, and if so, its settings

-> Your phone may randomise its MAC address for WiFi connections - does changing whether this is on or off make a difference?

Last edited by Protagoras; 25 December 2022, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
            this sounds to me like a device specific filter.
            Could be. The thing that's a bit odd though is it's only apps that are affected. Browser works fine through the wifi.

Comment

On my phone I've tried
              - setting a static i.p. for the phone and using Cloudfare or Google DNS (note that I can't change DNS on the Sky router itself)
              - using my phone fixed-MAC or using a randomised one

I've checked Sky Shield and it is not activated, but anyway this would have affected all devices and not just my phone.

On the router itself there are no specific rules for my phone.

Interesting too: Samsung phones have something called "secure Wifi" which can be used to protect on public WiFi networks. This doesn't change the i.p. address. When I turn this on, then the apps connect fine. I can't use this feature all the time so it's not a solution, but it must be something to do with encryption of data.

It isn't a huge problem that I can't access the apps - it's just frustrating - but it's one heck of a mystery that I can't solve yet! Like, why only my phone, and then why only on my Sky network?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                It isn't a huge problem that I can't access the apps - it's just frustrating - but it's one heck of a mystery that I can't solve yet! Like, why only my phone, and then why only on my Sky network?
                It sounds like it's a combination of 3 things: the phone, the network, and this specific app. However, I think you'd need to do a packet capture to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Interesting too: Samsung phones have something called "secure Wifi" which can be used to protect on public WiFi networks. This doesn't change the i.p. address. When I turn this on, then the apps connect fine. I can't use this feature all the time so it's not a solution, but it must be something to do with encryption of data.

The secure wifi is a vpn!

From the documentation, Secure Shield applies to all devices while Broadband Buddy has device specific settings.

Is there some firewall App on your phone, possibly built in to an AV App?
                  Last edited by Protagoras; 26 December 2022, 11:01.

Comment

It seems to be quite a common problem. Google brings up numerous threads about it eg.

https://androidforums.com/threads/ce...r-wifi.1290267

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a single definitive cause/solution. Although IPv6 gets mentioned quite a bit.

PS. might be worth downloading and running the Netalyzr app mentioned in post #4 of the above thread.
                    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 27 December 2022, 12:21. Reason: PS

Comment

Working...
                    X