• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apps/sites won't work on my home Wifi but will on other devices/networks"

Collapse

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Yes, I did suspect the mesh and powered it off, leaving just the main router running. But that didn't solve the problem either.

Since the router long-reboot it has all been running OK. We have a lot of devices running, like several Alexa devices and smart plugs, firesticks, phones/tablets etc

My phone was the only device that had problems accessing certain apps over WiFi
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 11 January 2023, 18:58.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    A full reboot of the router solved this. Switched off the sky router for 30 minutes and then back on and it all looks ok.

Didn't want to do this because I wanted to find out why my phone was being singled out. But in the end gave up and well at least it looks like it's all working now.
    Are you running a mesh network along the sky router?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    A full reboot of the router solved this. Switched off the sky router for 30 minutes and then back on and it all looks ok.

Didn't want to do this because I wanted to find out why my phone was being singled out. But in the end gave up and well at least it looks like it's all working now.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy and the new one is a Google Pixel 7.
    Same version of Android? I think I did see on a forum that someone had this problem after an Android update and, after trying lots of things, they ended up reverting it.

The other Android devices which do work on the Sky wifi; are they a different/earlier version?

----------

PS. which makes me wonder if the Samsung stopped working after an Android (auto) update.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 6 January 2023, 09:20. Reason: PS

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    You won't believe this.

I have the same problem on my new phone! And even with a replacement SIM card from Sky mobile (which I tried just to eliminate it as the cause).

Again, the issue only presents itself on my home Sky Wifi. Not on mobile data, and not on any other Wifi network.

My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy and the new one is a Google Pixel 7.
    This is messed up
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 5 January 2023, 18:57.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Thanks all. I broke my phone and the new one comes this week. So hopefully won't have this issue any more. Will update once I know.
    That's one way to solve the problem!

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Thanks all. I broke my phone and the new one comes this week. So hopefully won't have this issue any more. Will update once I know.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLantern22 View Post
    Indeed it's an IPv6 issue. Disable IPv6 on the Sky router, reboot the router and the problem will be gone.
    But then wouldn't it affect all devices, not just mine?

Literally all other android and apple devices work fine with the same apps on the same Wifi.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLantern22
    replied
    Indeed it's an IPv6 issue. Disable IPv6 on the Sky router, reboot the router and the problem will be gone.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    It seems to be quite a common problem. Google brings up numerous threads about it eg.

https://androidforums.com/threads/ce...r-wifi.1290267

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a single definitive cause/solution. Although IPv6 gets mentioned quite a bit.

PS. might be worth downloading and running the Netalyzr app mentioned in post #4 of the above thread.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 27 December 2022, 12:21. Reason: PS

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied

Interesting too: Samsung phones have something called "secure Wifi" which can be used to protect on public WiFi networks. This doesn't change the i.p. address. When I turn this on, then the apps connect fine. I can't use this feature all the time so it's not a solution, but it must be something to do with encryption of data.

It isn't a huge problem that I can't access the apps - it's just frustrating - but it's one heck of a mystery that I can't solve yet! Like, why only my phone, and then why only on my Sky network?
    The secure wifi is a vpn!

From the documentation, Secure Shield applies to all devices while Broadband Buddy has device specific settings.

Is there some firewall App on your phone, possibly built in to an AV App?
    Last edited by Protagoras; 26 December 2022, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    It isn't a huge problem that I can't access the apps - it's just frustrating - but it's one heck of a mystery that I can't solve yet! Like, why only my phone, and then why only on my Sky network?
    It sounds like it's a combination of 3 things: the phone, the network, and this specific app. However, I think you'd need to do a packet capture to get to the bottom of it.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    On my phone I've tried
    - setting a static i.p. for the phone and using Cloudfare or Google DNS (note that I can't change DNS on the Sky router itself)
    - using my phone fixed-MAC or using a randomised one

I've checked Sky Shield and it is not activated, but anyway this would have affected all devices and not just my phone.

On the router itself there are no specific rules for my phone.

Interesting too: Samsung phones have something called "secure Wifi" which can be used to protect on public WiFi networks. This doesn't change the i.p. address. When I turn this on, then the apps connect fine. I can't use this feature all the time so it's not a solution, but it must be something to do with encryption of data.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
    this sounds to me like a device specific filter.
    Could be. The thing that's a bit odd though is it's only apps that are affected. Browser works fine through the wifi.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X