• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 11 gobbles data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could install it as a dual boot image, then if you like it, nuke windoze, or if not, nuke linux.

Comment

As an old UNIX bod, switching to Linux would definitely be appealing.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

A Linux machine that you can't use effectively will definitely be gobbling less data
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

How easy is that to do, getting the right drivers etc?
          Absolute doddle nowadays.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've followed all the suggestions in this article, and checked a few other articles to see if there was anything else, but it's still consuming quite a lot of data.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/lim...-on-windows-11

I even uninstalled OneDrive just to make doubly sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to let you uninstall a lot of stuff eg. Edge. Now why doesn't that surprise me.

In "Settings -> Network & internet", you can get a breakdown of the data usage but the biggest culprit now is "System" which could be anything.

Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 16 December 2022, 15:43.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I had something similar on a new Win 11 laptop although have never seen it on my other Win 11 laptops and was to do with Google Drive and One Drive. I had made a small change to the set-up of the Documents/pictures/etc folders and what was happening is that Google Drive actually makes a copy/cache backup of the data before moving it around and One Drive had this folder in it's folders to backup (I also keep stuff local). Ended up transferring 64,000 odd files and a few 100's GB before noticing and reconfiguring. Bastards....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X