• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows 11 gobbles data"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I had something similar on a new Win 11 laptop although have never seen it on my other Win 11 laptops and was to do with Google Drive and One Drive. I had made a small change to the set-up of the Documents/pictures/etc folders and what was happening is that Google Drive actually makes a copy/cache backup of the data before moving it around and One Drive had this folder in it's folders to backup (I also keep stuff local). Ended up transferring 64,000 odd files and a few 100's GB before noticing and reconfiguring. Bastards....

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    I've followed all the suggestions in this article, and checked a few other articles to see if there was anything else, but it's still consuming quite a lot of data.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/lim...-on-windows-11

I even uninstalled OneDrive just to make doubly sure. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to let you uninstall a lot of stuff eg. Edge. Now why doesn't that surprise me.

In "Settings -> Network & internet", you can get a breakdown of the data usage but the biggest culprit now is "System" which could be anything.

Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 16 December 2022, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

How easy is that to do, getting the right drivers etc?
    Absolute doddle nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A Linux machine that you can't use effectively will definitely be gobbling less data

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    As an old UNIX bod, switching to Linux would definitely be appealing.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    You could install it as a dual boot image, then if you like it, nuke windoze, or if not, nuke linux.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    'avealook here:

https://linuxmint.com/

mint has the closest feel to windoze and drivers for the most common components IMHO

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    just put Linux on it then
    How easy is that to do, getting the right drivers etc?

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    just put Linux on it then

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Is this the same laptop you wrapped in a towel to get working?
    No, this is a brand new one, although I am thinking of wrapping it in something else. Tinfoil to block ******* Microsoft.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Is this the same laptop you wrapped in a towel to get working?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Despite being poorly written, there's some tips here that may help:

https://itechhacks.com/stop-windows-...-so-much-data/
    Thanks, I'd already come across that.

Turning off Windows Automatic Update permanently is a bit more convoluted. Stopping and disabling the service only works temporarily; after a while, it re-enables the damn thing. You have to use gpedit.msc to stop it for good but that only comes with the professional edition, not the home version. I found a script to activate it. I can share the details if anyone is interested.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Despite being poorly written, there's some tips here that may help:

https://itechhacks.com/stop-windows-...-so-much-data/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Metered WiFi used to be a great way to stop W10 doing silent updates and killing your laptop just as you are about to start a presentation, I don't know if that's still the case in W11? It was a handy trick.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Get hold of Treesize and you'll see that there's all sorts of GB files that are loaded from the Store. Including Candy Crush Saga and a few other games that you probably don't want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X