• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving away from BTinternet email address to what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving away from BTinternet email address to what?

So been with BT forever and my entire life revolves around my BT email but I don't like the idea of being so heavily dependant on them so have it the back of my mind I need to take the plunge and migrate away from them. It's going to be such a gargantuan task I need to make sure I'm doing it right. I've never used any other email so this is a massive leap.

What is the best plan here? Move to something like Gmail so I'm not tied to any service?

Has anyone done this and is there any tips and tricks or is it just a matter of picking an email and just starting a very long and difficult transition period? With email being the standard log in it's gonna take me forever to be completely independent of my BT mail.

Am I over thinking this and it's best just to stick with BT for the short(ish) time I've got left on this mortal coil?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

I got told recently, when I was sorting out moving, that the BT internet email service is being shut down so you better get a wriggle on.

Gmail is fine. There are some nice features that I've never used where you can prefix your email address with a code so you know where a particular spammer got your email address from. (see https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308648?hl=en) You can then use those prefixes to filter emails, file them, etc.

First off, I would set up an account and put a redirect on your BT mailbox to start forwarding everything over to Gmail.

Then it's a case of slowly going through all the mailing lists you're on and updating your contact details (maybe using the above feature as you go).

Remember, having btinternet.com as a log in isn't always the same as having it as a contact address. So you can mitigate some of the pain by decoupling the two.

Comment

Haven't you got your own domain(s)? If not, set one up and have your own email addresses.

https://theukdomain.uk/buy-a-domain/...northernlad.uk
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Haven't you got your own domain(s)? If not, set one up and have your own email addresses.

I was going to suggest that but NLUK is northern and that would require him to spend money. Gmail is free.

Comment

LM has made the main point but I don't want anything that has added admin for next to no benefit over the free ones. I'm sure those that know or have done it the admin is next to zero and it's a perfect fair option. Just not that desirable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was going to suggest that but NLUK is northern and that would require him to spend money. Gmail is free.
            But Gmail will also result him having an email address like [email protected] due to the number of people who joined before him with the same name...

Personally I would go for a domain name and something like zoho mail Zoho Mail Pricing & Editions - Free for 5 Users which is free for up to 5 users.

And if you really can't be arsed to deal with a domain name - I'll sort and admin that stuff for you - you'll just have the first round whenever I see you...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

But Gmail will also result him having an email address like [email protected] due to the number of people who joined before him with the same name...
              Good point. I just checked this tool and [email protected] is no longer available.

Comment

If you want your name as your email address, try gmx.co.uk. I think it's an offshoot of mail.com; it has the same interface.

If you're looking for something more , try protonmail based in Switzerland.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  If you want your name as your email address, try gmx.co.uk. I think it's an offshoot of mail.com; it has the same interface.

Good call.
                  Protonmail is/was used by one of the most regular trolls on here a few years ago, so would be perfect for NLUK.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I've actually got a decent gmail one I could use but that's a fair point
                    Personally I would go for a domain name and something like zoho mail Zoho Mail Pricing & Editions - Free for 5 Users which is free for up to 5 users.

And if you really can't be arsed to deal with a domain name - I'll sort and admin that stuff for you - you'll just have the first round whenever I see you...
                    I can do it if I need to. Just being lazy. The solution needs to last for decades now so just trying to shave the admin down. I'm sure it's next to non in the great scheme. I'll have a look at that though thank you.

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

That's interesting. My dad has a GMX mail and I didn't have a clue what it was. I thought he'd signed up with some tiny home project which would evaporate or go wrong at some point. No need for the the proton offering though. Isn't there a risk if it's the go to for anonymity service there is a chance the authorities may intervene or something? Don't need that so I'll pass but thanks.

Good call.
                    Protonmail is/was used by one of the most regular trolls on here a few years ago, so would be perfect for NLUK.
                    Oiiiiii. No need for that sonny Jim!

Comment

Working...
                    X