• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving away from BTinternet email address to what?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

What did you decide on?

I've moved a couple of my domains to Apple, if you pay for icloud storage (£2 a month or something) you can get your own custom email domain

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212514
    To be fair the enormity of the task has overcome me and I'm opting for option 3 which is complete apathy I am afraid

I confirmed with BT there is no issue with my mail for the foreseeable future and the service, although may not be the best/cheapest in the market is OK enough to not warrant a change at the moment so I'll ponder it a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So been with BT forever and my entire life revolves around my BT email but I don't like the idea of being so heavily dependant on them so have it the back of my mind I need to take the plunge and migrate away from them. It's going to be such a gargantuan task I need to make sure I'm doing it right. I've never used any other email so this is a massive leap.

What is the best plan here? Move to something like Gmail so I'm not tied to any service?

Has anyone done this and is there any tips and tricks or is it just a matter of picking an email and just starting a very long and difficult transition period? With email being the standard log in it's gonna take me forever to be completely independent of my BT mail.

Am I over thinking this and it's best just to stick with BT for the short(ish) time I've got left on this mortal coil?
    What did you decide on?

I've moved a couple of my domains to Apple, if you pay for icloud storage (£2 a month or something) you can get your own custom email domain

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212514

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I too have engaged in such an activity and I didn't understand a word of what he said
    Thankfully, I can speak enough Yorkshire to be able to get the gist of it. Eyyyye Ooooop Lhad, Wud tha lak a pant o maaald ?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I've had the pleasure (??) of having a libation with NLUK, and I have to say, he's a rather uncouth fellow
    I too have engaged in such an activity and I didn't understand a word of what he said
    He doesn't remember having a drink with me. And no, there was no spiking of drinks involved.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

I find this useful...

Click image for larger version

Name:	71vT0DHV4vL.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	4224578

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

He was swearing at me :-) I've had the pleasure (??) of having a libation with NLUK, and I have to say, he's a rather uncouth fellow

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

He was swearing at me :-) I've had the pleasure (??) of having a libation with NLUK, and I have to say, he's a rather uncouth fellow

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

It's my personal one you ****ing **** ******

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I was going to suggest that but NLUK is northern and that would require him to spend money. Gmail is free.
    Not just the money though, getting to work as seamlessly as gmail is a faff.

I thought it was only grandparents who didn't understand the internet who used their ISP email though!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    double postage.....

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

Ah, for 'personal business' There's always proton mail, for that untraceable personal email that can't be used in evidence......and you'll love it cause it's free

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Exactly this ^^

If you're a business, you have to start acting like a business

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Haven't you got your own domain(s)? If not, set one up and have your own email addresses.

https://theukdomain.uk/buy-a-domain/...northernlad.uk
    Exactly this ^^

If you're a business, you have to start acting like a business

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

But Gmail will also result him having an email address like [email protected] due to the number of people who joined before him with the same name...
    I've actually got a decent gmail one I could use but that's a fair point
    Personally I would go for a domain name and something like zoho mail Zoho Mail Pricing & Editions - Free for 5 Users which is free for up to 5 users.

And if you really can't be arsed to deal with a domain name - I'll sort and admin that stuff for you - you'll just have the first round whenever I see you...
    I can do it if I need to. Just being lazy. The solution needs to last for decades now so just trying to shave the admin down. I'm sure it's next to non in the great scheme. I'll have a look at that though thank you.

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    If you want your name as your email address, try gmx.co.uk. I think it's an offshoot of mail.com; it has the same interface.

If you're looking for something more , try protonmail based in Switzerland.
    That's interesting. My dad has a GMX mail and I didn't have a clue what it was. I thought he'd signed up with some tiny home project which would evaporate or go wrong at some point. No need for the the proton offering though. Isn't there a risk if it's the go to for anonymity service there is a chance the authorities may intervene or something? Don't need that so I'll pass but thanks.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Good call.
    Protonmail is/was used by one of the most regular trolls on here a few years ago, so would be perfect for NLUK.
    Oiiiiii. No need for that sonny Jim!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    If you want your name as your email address, try gmx.co.uk. I think it's an offshoot of mail.com; it has the same interface.

If you're looking for something more , try protonmail based in Switzerland.
    Good call.
    Protonmail is/was used by one of the most regular trolls on here a few years ago, so would be perfect for NLUK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X