• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dashcam recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dashcam recommendations

Do you have one?

Any bloody good?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

I've a Nextbase 522GW. Easy to setup, good quality video/audio and map info
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Blackvue DR590W, front & rear. Have fitted one to each car and also given them to children for their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
        Blackvue DR590W, front & rear. Have fitted one to each car and also given them to children for their cars.
        I'm a bit half and half on the Blackvue. I wanted the tubular ones but seemed a lot of money so I went for a 70 MAI https://www.mymemory.co.uk/xiaomi-70...cam-1080p.html and gotta say for under £40 it was epic. Local wifi to watch it on the phone, voice control to take picture/star/stop recording, little voice saying when it was recording etc. Has the auto park recording but I didn't have that enabled as I'm worried it might drain the battery as I wasn't using the car often so can't comment on that. Had it three years and needed the video a couple of times.

Seemed to have everything the blackvue did and I could buy two for front and rear for half the price. Struggling to see the advantage anywhere and assume looking at the design being so similar it's coming from the same factory like much of the chinese stuff seems to be nowadays.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm a bit half and half on the Blackvue. I wanted the tubular ones but seemed a lot of money so I went for a 70 MAI https://www.mymemory.co.uk/xiaomi-70...cam-1080p.html and gotta say for under £40 it was epic. Local wifi to watch it on the phone, voice control to take picture/star/stop recording, little voice saying when it was recording etc. Has the auto park recording but I didn't have that enabled as I'm worried it might drain the battery as I wasn't using the car often so can't comment on that. Had it three years and needed the video a couple of times.

Seemed to have everything the blackvue did and I could buy two for front and rear for half the price. Struggling to see the advantage anywhere and assume looking at the design being so similar it's coming from the same factory like much of the chinese stuff seems to be nowadays.

am I reading that right, it only starts recording once you’ve been in a crash and is not recording proactively?!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

am I reading that right, it only starts recording once you’ve been in a crash and is not recording proactively?!
            Which bit? It records all the time it's on. I had mine wired in to the ignition so started recording as soon as it was on. They have a parking function that starts recording when it detects a bump and the car is stationary and off if you've got it wired in properly.

It also has some added feature that it also saves a seperate video if it detects an accident and saves it away from the normal recording so it doesn't over write automatically
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Which bit? It records all the time it's on. I had mine wired in to the ignition so started recording as soon as it was on. They have a parking function that starts recording when it detects a bump and the car is stationary and off if you've got it wired in properly.

It also has some added feature that it also saves a seperate video if it detects an accident and saves it away from the normal recording so it doesn't over write automatically
              I think it's the part where where you mentioned voice control to start recording perhaps?

Comment

With the DR590 the rear camera is cabled to the front one, which contains all the gubbins and MicroSD card, and the recordings are sync'd. You can also get a £20 adaptor to power it from the OBD port, which keeps cabling tucked out of the way.

It might be that some of the cheaper ones are perfectly usable, I've just got a bit tired of struggling with things that don't quite work as they should, and having found the Blackvues to be a fit-and-forget option I've tended to stick with them. I'd hate to find that something went wrong and it didn't record on the one time I needed it :-(

I did originally have a Transcend Pro 200 which was a good little camera (although more conspicuous) but was of little use when we were rear-ended (except to log the sudden jerk forward after we'd stopped), that's what drove the move to a 2-channel setup.

Comment

Seem to be all the rage. Not really sure why. We complain about surveillance culture then all install cameras in our vehicles!
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Seem to be all the rage. Not really sure why. We complain about surveillance culture then all install cameras in our vehicles!
                    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em

Comment

Working...
                    X