• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrict Wireless Printer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restrict Wireless Printer

Sup,

I am back in the office (after finally getting off the bench, thanks Boris!)
    How do I restrict access to my wifi printer on a shared network? I thought their might be a nifty little print server on the market, but none that I can see.

Before I crack out my linux spanners and imagineer something with a Pi3b+ I thought I would post here see if anyone knows anything.

Ta

Me
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Why do you have your wifi printer on a shared network?

Anyway - you need your own router to create within the shared network and private one.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Why do you have your wifi printer on a shared network?

Anyway - you need your own router to create within the shared network and private one.
      The building is called "Budget Offices" and I am tight. :-)

Comment

A printer will broadcast it's existence on whatever network you connect it to.

So the only way of ensuring that no one else uses it is to have either a very expensive printer with pin codes or to take it offline and create a printer server using that raspberry pi.

Print Server on Raspberry Pi | LinkedIn will tell you what you need to do.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have you thought of the very simple option, of only having it powered on when you want to print?

Oh hang on, just checked who the OP is,

Nevermind
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Have you thought of the very simple option, of only having it powered on when you want to print?

Oh hang on, just checked who the OP is,

Nevermind
            The same thought occurred; I was going to suggest he simply plugs it in to the parallel port on the back of his laptop...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

The same thought occurred; I was going to suggest he simply plugs it in to the parallel port on the back of his laptop...
              <scours amazon prime for usb parallel ports ...>

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

So the only way of ensuring that no one else uses it is to have either a very expensive printer with pin codes or to take it offline and create a printer server using that raspberry pi.

Yip that's what I think I'm heading towards. I was wondering whether to go the whole hog and install Samba and AD or just CUPS on Raspbian as a cheap n cheerful. I'm leaning towards the latter as I seriously CBA.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Or make the Raspberry PI into a router.
                  https://linuxhint.com/raspberry_pi_wired_router/
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is this for other people or just you? If the latter, does it not have ethernet or USB you can use instead?

Comment

Working...
                    X