• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Restrict Wireless Printer"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Is this for other people or just you? If the latter, does it not have ethernet or USB you can use instead?
    It has USB, but is over the other side of the office. Is there such as thing as wireless USB?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Is this for other people or just you? If the latter, does it not have ethernet or USB you can use instead?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    A printer will broadcast it's existence on whatever network you connect it to.

So the only way of ensuring that no one else uses it is to have either a very expensive printer with pin codes or to take it offline and create a printer server using that raspberry pi.

Print Server on Raspberry Pi | LinkedIn will tell you what you need to do.
    Or make the Raspberry PI into a router.
    https://linuxhint.com/raspberry_pi_wired_router/

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

So the only way of ensuring that no one else uses it is to have either a very expensive printer with pin codes or to take it offline and create a printer server using that raspberry pi.

Yip that's what I think I'm heading towards. I was wondering whether to go the whole hog and install Samba and AD or just CUPS on Raspbian as a cheap n cheerful. I'm leaning towards the latter as I seriously CBA.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

The same thought occurred; I was going to suggest he simply plugs it in to the parallel port on the back of his laptop...
    <scours amazon prime for usb parallel ports ...>

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Have you thought of the very simple option, of only having it powered on when you want to print?

Oh hang on, just checked who the OP is,

Nevermind
    The same thought occurred; I was going to suggest he simply plugs it in to the parallel port on the back of his laptop...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Have you thought of the very simple option, of only having it powered on when you want to print?

Oh hang on, just checked who the OP is,

Nevermind

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Why do you have your wifi printer on a shared network?

Anyway - you need your own router to create within the shared network and private one.
    The building is called "Budget Offices" and I am tight. :-)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Why do you have your wifi printer on a shared network?

Anyway - you need your own router to create within the shared network and private one.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Restrict Wireless Printer

Restrict Wireless Printer

Sup,

I am back in the office (after finally getting off the bench, thanks Boris!)
    How do I restrict access to my wifi printer on a shared network? I thought their might be a nifty little print server on the market, but none that I can see.

Before I crack out my linux spanners and imagineer something with a Pi3b+ I thought I would post here see if anyone knows anything.

Ta

Me

Working...
X