• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android antivirus- is it needed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android antivirus- is it needed?

Mr C has got himself a new Android smart phone.

I advised him to get antivirus but he’s found a crappy website that’s told him that provided he uses the Google App Store antivirus isn’t needed.

I absolutely believe that’s not the case, but as I’m an iPhone user I can’t advise on what antivirus he should be using.

Any advice on this would be appreciated...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Not an expert, but think it is needed. I use Avast Mobile security.

Comment

provided he uses the Google App Store antivirus isn’t needed.
      That may have been the case at the start but I wouldn't bet on that for ever. With the reliance of phones for absolutely everything now hacking/accessing androids must one of the crime worlds top priority. I keep meaning to look at the Norton offering as I already pay for subscriptions but stuck with avast for as long as I can remember.

All that said, is he a heavy user? I.e. does he download and use a ton of apps for everything or does he just have the basics he rarely uses? If he's the later I wouldn't be in a rush to put AV on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I use BitDefender.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes it is needed especially if he is using app repositories other than Google Store
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

No, he’ll only be using Google Store.

I think he’ll use Avast since it’s on his desktop.

thanks everyone.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

As always, it depends. I don't have antivirus on my Android phone. Because I do not use phone for any financial transactions except for PayPal which is attached to an account which will never have more than £100.

https://www.intersecure.co.uk/pages/best-offers provides Cheapest Antivirus' bundles for unlimited users for all devices including Mobiles.
              Last edited by BigDataPro; 5 June 2021, 07:31.

Comment

there's a lot of malware that spreads by text and Whatsapp.
                It's not just about the apps that are installed.

I don't use Android but I recommend customers to use Microsoft Defender if they already use O365. It's a bolt-on license. The E5 security bolt-on is a real game changer as it provides the entire Microsoft security toolset for just £9 pupm.
                If they already have E5 M365, or EMS E5 then they already have it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  there's a lot of malware that spreads by text and Whatsapp.
                  It's not just about the apps that are installed.
                  How does that work then? Are we talking dodgy links that people click exclusively? And how can they infect your device?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    How does that work then? Are we talking dodgy links that people click exclusively? And how can they infect your device?
                    You could receive a file to open that may install something in the background without you necessarily spotting it, or a prompt may display that looks legit at quick glance that installs something if you don't pay proper attention.

It's very similar to how naff stuff gets installed on PCs - it took me ages to teach my Dad not to click 'OK' to everything that popped up on screen; I suspect a less savvy mobile user could be similarly caught out.

Comment

Working...
                    X