• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Head to avforums and see what they say - apart from the fact your timing is wrong and Black Friday is the first time to be looking at this years models unless the TV has died.
    Fair point on AvForums.

Is Black Friday still worth it? Recent years it's seemed (to me at least) to be nothing special in terms of discounts (admittedly I wasn't looking for a tele).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Summary... Grandma gets modern tech and likes it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I am by no means an authority on TVs but I'm happy enough with my new toy. The size perfect for me and the space the TV is put in.

Picture looks good but I'm still messing with the preset options to work out the one I like best.

It was easy enough to set up Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. I may yet be tempted to get Netflix but I've survived without for this long so that's unlikely.

Noticed that it discovered my NAS on the network so I'm going to try pulling a film or TV episode from there.

Not hugely fussed by the OS and menu and will probably stick with watching programmes via my PC rather than the built-in apps.

The magic remote takes a little getting used to but it's easy enough and quite responsive.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Head to avforums and see what they say - apart from the fact your timing is wrong and Black Friday is the first time to be looking at this years models unless the TV has died.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Look forward to hearing what you think of new telly.

It's also on my short list to replace our Panasonic 42" plasma, along with

Panasonic TX50HX580B

and

LG 50UN73006LA

Both of which are 50 quid cheaper. The 50" Panasonic doesn't have Freesat support but we don't (currently) need it. Currently can't see what the difference is between the two LG models (apart from 50 quid) unless the the 73006 is just an older model?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    If you need an instruction manual, I'm afraid you are
    I didn't say I needed one. I was merely observing the presence (or lack of)

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I'm not that old!
    If you need an instruction manual, I'm afraid you are

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you know any teenagers to set it up and tell you how to use it now?
    I'm not that old!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do you know any teenagers to set it up and tell you how to use it now?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Tellybox has arrived. Despite it being a larger screen, the smaller bezel means it takes up no more room than my old one. It's also way lighter to lift.

Stand fitted and it's all plugged in. Sadly I have that work stuff to do so will do the set up later.

Entertaining to discover that the instructions for using the remote are on the TV... One of the complaints about the TV was that this and the overall manual are on the TV and not sent in the plethora of bits of paper that it ships with. They included three copies of a leaflet instructing me how to control the TV with Alexa though, which was nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X