• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unixman
    replied
    My mistake. LG 43UN81006LB isn't OLED. Been a long day.

...thanks, please do.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Looks really good. How are you finding it ? I'm in the market for something similar, but "smaller" screens are hard to find. TV functions will come from a Raspberry Pi running OSMC, so really a new TV will just be a display panel. Looks like OLED is the way to go. I'm concerned about viewing angles, which are difficult to judge on Amazon.

Not looking forward to needing a soundbar. My chunky 2006 Sony might have a microscopic 32" screen, but it knows how to make a sound.

Incidentally this was the procedure for building the Pi. Skips adverts in recorded programs, plays videos from phones, view TV on any device etc.
    How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi | Unix etc.
    It arrives on Monday, will let you know

It's an LED, not OLED, which kept the price down. It's going to be plenty good enough for what I'll use it for.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Looks really good. How are you finding it ? I'm in the market for something similar, but "smaller" screens are hard to find. TV functions will come from a Raspberry Pi running OSMC, so really a new TV will just be a display panel. Looks like OLED is the way to go. I'm concerned about viewing angles, which are difficult to judge on Amazon.

Not looking forward to needing a soundbar. My chunky 2006 Sony might have a microscopic 32" screen, but it knows how to make a sound.

Incidentally this was the procedure for building the Pi. Skips adverts in recorded programs, plays videos from phones, view TV on any device etc.
    How to Watch and Record Live TV with a Raspberry Pi | Unix etc.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It is weird how having TVs we'd have considered obscene, now seems the norm. Every now and then watching TV at a mate's who still has a 30" (pretty big TV growing up) I struggle to see what's going on and my eyes are fine.

40" is a nice size if you are more than a couple of metres away. I would say 4K and HDR makes quite a difference the first time you see it, then you forget.
    I was very happy with our 42" 10 year old LCD but their was no way BS03 was going to have his xbox plugged into the living room tv for six months during lockdown. So that went to his room and the new 55" came into the living room.

55" with 4k/UHD/HDR content is impressive through in a an ATMOS surrounded setup and its a great cinematic experience. We added a SL8YG sound bar and added the optional rear speakers (spk8-s).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It is weird how having TVs we'd have considered obscene, now seems the norm. Every now and then watching TV at a mate's who still has a 30" (pretty big TV growing up) I struggle to see what's going on and my eyes are fine.

40" is a nice size if you are more than a couple of metres away. I would say 4K and HDR makes quite a difference the first time you see it, then you forget.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    I looked into this when we upgraded a few months ago. It appears all OLED screens are manufactured by LG. Samsung QLED are still back light LEDs. Personally I think OLED are much better than LED/LCD TV's.

For sub 50" and something that will be compatible with the new XBox this is touted to be the TV of choice. LG OLED48CX6LB.

Netflix UHD and UHD Movies with a ATMOS compatible sound system have kept us going through lock down.

This is what I bought: lg oled55b9pla.
    LG OLED55E9PLA here - good choice BS!

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    At the present moment, OLED is the most advanced technology. The difference between QLED & OLED pricing, amortised over the life of the telly is insignificant. Buy the best you can afford.

I have not seen any OLED's which are not "Smart"
    We jumped From a 10 year old Sony Bravia 42" LED, to 55" inch LG OLED. The difference is incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    At the present moment, OLED is the most advanced technology. The difference between QLED & OLED pricing, amortised over the life of the telly is insignificant. Buy the best you can afford.

I have not seen any OLED's which are not "Smart"

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Not really built to a price so lowest quality components - and as I posted a lot of posts ago when you are buying a TV the more expensive the TV the better the screen (as everything else is the same within reason).

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Medion 50” Smart 4K UHD TV with HDR - ALDI UK

Much cheapness

Leave a comment:

Working...
X