• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need a new tellybox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I did the same. Went for an LG and have been impressed with it. Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.
    OLED55E9 - I was fortunate enough to win my purchase price back from Curry's...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Our last two have been smart. I can cast from laptop and phone to the TV, which is occasionally useful. I can start a youtube video on a laptop or phone, then have the TV youtube app take over. The main benefit IMO, is that you connect to streaming services directly. I can also install a VPN on the TV which means I can watch Netflix UK, for example. Or BBC iplayer...
    We've got a Firestick in every TV we have. I haven't use the Smart functionality of any of them for as long as I can remember now.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.
    You sound like my missus

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Having never owned a Smart TV, are they any good? I see there's lots of TV OS's out there now.
    Our last two have been smart. I can cast from laptop and phone to the TV, which is occasionally useful. I can start a youtube video on a laptop or phone, then have the TV youtube app take over. The main benefit IMO, is that you connect to streaming services directly. I can also install a VPN on the TV which means I can watch Netflix UK, for example. Or BBC iplayer...

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I went to buy a Samsung QLED telly. Ran the "thinness" and viewing tests, and came out with LG OLED.

The OLED's do have a better viewing angle and are extremely thin, however they do carry a price-premium. They LG WebOS is very good and easy to use.

At the end of the day, you get used to watching whatever it is that you are watching...
    I did the same. Went for an LG and have been impressed with it. Also went to 55 inch and despite thinking it was enormous at first, now I've had it for 9 months, I would try to go even bigger next time.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Bought a Sharp 40" smart tv from Lidl.

It even had a satellite tuner built in.

It had a lovely picture for the five minutes it stayed up before rebooting.

It's the 2nd time I've taken a tv back to the shop within a couple of days of buying it.

The first one was a Bush 22" ctv that lasted a whole 10 minutes before dying way back in 1980.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMART TV but if the other specs of the TV match what you want/need then buy it. This is because you risk the apps being obsolete before the TV breaks down plus you may want apps the manufacturer doesn't have. I have a SMART TV where the apps were mostly obsolete 3.5 years after I got it. I now have a Roku stick stuck into the back of it like I also have on my main TV.

Main TV is a Samsung.
    +1 - buy a TV based on picture and sound quality - chances are if you keep a TV long enough you will need a apple TV / Amazon / Roku stick to continue to receive all the programs you want to watch.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Having never owned a Smart TV, are they any good? I see there's lots of TV OS's out there now.
    I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMART TV but if the other specs of the TV match what you want/need then buy it. This is because you risk the apps being obsolete before the TV breaks down plus you may want apps the manufacturer doesn't have. I have a SMART TV where the apps were mostly obsolete 3.5 years after I got it. I now have a Roku stick stuck into the back of it like I also have on my main TV.

Main TV is a Samsung.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Another vote for Samsung here. I like the LG products but have had quite a few of them ( TV, Hifi etc) stop working almost as soon as the product guarantee expired

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    My current one is still working so no immediate rush. However, knowing that it took me a good year of saying "I should get a new monitor" before I finally made a decision, I really should put some effort into finding a new telly as this was triggered by Windoze pushing a huge update last night and me having to remember the custom scaling I had to do to get the bloody desktop to sit right on the screen.

Having done some digging it seems my Samsumg is about 10-11 years old, so it's had a good innings.

Currently I have a 40" LCD and I don't want to go bigger than 50". I don't have a need for anything bigger.
    So start looking now and have the credit card ready to hit Richer Sounds on Black Friday...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X