• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your preferred web browser?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    Gmail has announced it is unsupported and refuses to let me access my account, brave updated yesterday and os overnight
    Fecking Google dictatorship.

They recently started displaying a really crappy search interface to anyone using an old browser to "encourage" people to upgrade. I got around this, with my old version of Opera, by setting the user agent string to spoof as a recent version of Firefox.

K-Meleon uses the following spoofed user agent string because stupid sites like Google won't accept more obscure browsers like K-Meleon.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 K-Meleon/75.1
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Charlotte and Lynx. Probably the safest browsers around
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        I've tried IE, Opera, Chrome and K-Meleon.

I've found K-Meleon by far the best. It's fast and lean. Uses much less memory and cpu than others, so great for older/lower spec PCs. It's configurable in an intuitive way, and it's easy to import bookmarks from other browsers.

I'm currently using the latest stable release with the Gecko engine.
        K-Meleon 75.1 (2015-09-19)
        K-Meleon

What's your choice of browser?
        Chrome for me always. First choice.

Comment

Safari.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Safari.
            I used to use safari, but following an update it decides which tabs it will close, without warning or means of retrieval.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
              I used to use safari, but following an update it decides which tabs it will close, without warning or means of retrieval.
              I sometimes wish it would do that to me. I must have a hundred or so scattered around a dozen windows at the moment

Comment

If you use an iPad it will, it’s a new 'feature'

Comment

Opera - the inbuilt VPN is really handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                    Opera - the inbuilt VPN is really handy.
                    I tried Opera (on win 10 desktop) as of yesterday & really like it. Thanks for mentioning it.
                    It's certainly as good as Firefox or Edge.
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

It's not been suggsted yet. But for the ultra paranoid the Tor browser is very good.
                      Tor Project | Anonymity Online

It's based on Firefox but uses a network of encrypted peers before breaking onto the public internet at a random node.
                      It's likely that a large amount of the exit nodes are run by the US government so don't bother with any anti-US espionage but for most other activity it's very private.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X